10 gallon community?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Bellusion, Aug 1, 2015.

1. BellusionValued MemberMember

My daughter has a 10 gallon tank. It has Loki, a delta tail male betta. She insisted he was lonely so we got Turbo, a red mystery snail, to keep him company. They completely ignore each other.

He originally had a ghost shrimp in his tank but I haven't seen him in weeks, I assume Loki ate him.

She really wants more fish in her tank. Is there anything that would be okay? Not just fish but shrimp, snail, etc. It is more important to keep the existing betta and snail healthy.

(I know the betta isn't lonely, try telling that to a kid, hehe)

2. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

No fish would work with a betta in that size tank, especially.
    I would get 10-20 cherry shrimp and see how it works out, but the betta may eat them.

3. BellusionValued MemberMember

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I have looked and looked but couldn't find anything that could go with Loki and Turbo in their little 10 gallon.

No one sells cherry shrimp locally, I have looked for my main tank. I will call around to further located stores and ask. Thanks for the help!

4. lily potter1223Valued MemberMember

It pretty much depends on the personality of your betta. I know someone who kept a betta with a community with neon tetras and Cory's and others, but they also had a betta that would kill anything they put with it... If your betta killed the ghost shrimp, he probably won't want anything else with him in the tank.
    But nerites snails are really pretty and don't reproduce in freshwater. Or you could try a couple of ghost/cherry shrimp again. But like Anders said, I don't think other fish would work in a ten gallon.

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, true. I would only try a betta in a community in a 20 gallon or larger and if you are an experienced aquarist. Even then I'd never do it personally.

6. lily potter1223Valued MemberMember

Yes they're tank was 30 gallons, so I would never try it with 10. I think snails or shrimp are your best option, bellusion. :)

7. _Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

Unfortunately, 10 gallons is on the small side for community fish that most people pile in them, betta or no.

8. ErbarryValued MemberMember

I have a 10g with a Betta and some platies but like others have said it depends on the Betta. I closely monitored the tank when I first put the platies in to see what was going to happen. The first few days he would flare up but the platies just ignored him. Now he ignores them and I am more worried about the male platy harassing the females.

9. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

@Erbarry The issue is that bettas have been known to be peaceful one day and aggressive the next. They can turn quickly and without warning.

10. ErbarryValued MemberMember

This could be said about any fish. I've read many posts about peaceful fish going crazy out of no where. My cichlids are far more aggressive then my Betta and they show it daily but it's ok to house them together. When I notice something wrong then I won't do it but until then its staying as is.

11. TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Not saying you have to change anything, just saying to be aware. Bettas are called Siamese fighting fish for a reason...

12. GenaWell Known MemberMember

I'd be the mom that would tell my kid she can have a "lonely" betta or she can have no betta at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

13. junebugFishlore LegendMember

A second mystery snail and some nerites are probably the best options for this tank. Shrimp will be eaten in just about any circumstance, especially with a ghost shrimp gone missing.

14. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Hi, what a cute name for the betta!

I agree with the others, shrimp and snails are the best option for a betta community in that size tank. Now, if you upgraded to a 20g you'd have quite a few more options.

As for the missing ghost shrimp, one possibility is that he just died but the body hasn't been found yet, or the betta nibbled off him or something after he died, leaving hardly any remains. For a clear, small shrimp in a "big" 10g, it would seem hard imo to find the remains quickly after they die. Just a thought. So your betta might not have killed the shrimp at all, the shrimp might've died on his own, especially if he was sold as a feeder.

Of course, I must mention that some people (like me), have success with "10g suitable fish" such as guppies, but I highly discourage putting a betta with fancy male guppies, especially if you don't know how he reacts to other fish.

In the end though, it just depends on the betta. :)

15. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

That would be debatable.....

16. BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Did you read the last part of my post? :p

17. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes....

18. BellusionValued MemberMember

We have decided to get a couple of ghost shrimp and see what happens. If they all play well together, we will add cherry shrimp. Thanks all

19. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Cherry shrimps will get eaten by ghost shrimps.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

20. BellusionValued MemberMember

Ah... okay. Then I guess I will just go straight to trying a few cherry shrimp.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice