10 Gallon Clownfish Tank?

TheQuirkyCory
Let's see...about a week ago I went on a trip to my LFS and I saw guess what? Clownfish. These little baby Clownfish maybe a almost an inch. I believe they were Ocellaris Clownfish which I had a done some research on before. I'm gonna say this: I want to take the leap into saltwater. At the moment I have a 10 Gallon freshwater aquarium running with a couple fish in it. I was thinking about converting it to saltwater. I know for sure I need this stuff for a low tech saltwater aquarium.

-Tank (obviously)
-Instant Ocean salt
-more powerful HOB filter
-live rock
-live sand (I know it isn't necessary but I want to have it anyways)

Anything else?

I'm planning to do a FOWLR tank because it's easier. Now what I'm worried about is the Clownfish. I want to get Ocellaris Clownfish, maybe a pair and I've seen lots of people with Clownfish pairs in 10 Gallon aquariums. I'm planning to do a water change every week with top offs. Do I need to use RODI water? Thanks, I want to make the jump into the saltwater hobby and don't want to start out and die lol.

grantm91

1f64b21ac45842ab2c801af31f12f7e0.jpg 60 litre, I have 2 occelaris, 1neon blue goby, 1peppermint shrimp, long story short yeah what you want is possible I say but you will get conflicting opinions.

grantm91
And FOWLR will turn in to some button pollyps and some button pollyps will turn in to a torch coral lol but just don't be affraid of doing it, gather info then do your thing that's what I did.

Nada Mucho
View attachment 311471 60 litre, I have 2 occelaris, 1neon blue goby, 1peppermint shrimp, long story short yeah what you want is possible I say but you will get conflicting opinions.

That's a very attractive tank. Nice work sir.

grantm91
Thanks

TheQuirkyCory
Sounds good but does anyone know the exact supplies I'll need for the tank?

AquaticBrandon
Some circulation pumps will be needed. A lot of movement in saltwater tanks is key . Yes RODI water or RO water is good. You never want to use tap water. Some local pet stores sell RODI water and pre mixed saltwater too that's ready to go. Just check the salinity levels. A nano tank like yours, you can go by with just buying pre mixed saltwater from the lfs. Or you can just mix the water yourself. Just make sure to do a lot of research! Good luck haha I agree with grantm91. Once you get a coral you become addicted and keep getting more and more LOL

Nart
Typically I wouldn't recommend 2 clowns in a 10G set-up because they eat like little piggies and have a decent amount of bio-load.
But, if you are graduating from the freshwater world and this isn't your first aquarium set-up then you should be fine. Just practice good weekly husbandry as you will want to stay on top of nitrates/phosphates that creep up and salinity level that rises.

Also, the biggest tip I have for you in Saltwater is patience. I recommend going the fishless cycle route and wait for the tank to completely cycle before adding fishes. It's just less stressful overall and less headache.

TheQuirkyCory
Typically I wouldn't recommend 2 clowns in a 10G set-up because they eat like little piggies and have a decent amount of bio-load.
But, if you are graduating from the freshwater world and this isn't your first aquarium set-up then you should be fine. Just practice good weekly husbandry as you will want to stay on top of nitrates/phosphates that creep up and salinity level that rises.

Also, the biggest tip I have for you in Saltwater is patience. I recommend going the fishless cycle route and wait for the tank to completely cycle before adding fishes. It's just less stressful overall and less headache.
Yessir! I suppose weekly water changes should work. Could I use a HOB filter maybe meant for 30 gallons?

Nart
Yup.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LJC6780
Replies
Views
JennHughes
Replies
Views
Jesterrace