10 gallon challenge

1. vasqua03 Member Member

10 gallon established, 3 oto's.

Thinking 5 neons, 1 honey

Keep hearing platy need more space and not fond of endlers or guppies.

Solitary species
    i've come across as possibilities are:

1 dwarf puffer
    or
    1 male betta
    or
    1 DG

trio of bb gobies but controversy about keeping in freshwater

thoughts/ preference/ experience with any of these fish or combos?
    Any other fish I can keep on it's own or pair in a ten gallon?

2. LockedBox Member Member

I'd steer away from bettas, they tend to be more trouble that they are worth as far as community tanks go. The tank is too small for a DG, but a honey might be alright. Personally, I think you would be better off with some shrimp instead of neons, they would be easier to keep and it would look just as good.

3. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

This is what I would reccomend get2 more ottos and then get some shrimp and snails.

4. marc-olivier Member Member

I add puffer in 10G tank and he is really hard to mix with other fish because he prefer eating live food. Mine try to taste my corry panda or otos.
    but bb gubies was good mix with my puffer both eating live food.
    Betas could damage your fish.
    Killies or honey could be nice safe choice.

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Bettas are great candidates for a community tanks. Theres nothing wrong with it, and I think its a great set up for a 10 gallon tank.

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

That's a pretty sweeping generalization. Not all Bettas are good for a community tank. I would not recommend a Betta for a community tank without having a backup plan. Not every Betta is going to behave in the same way, something that everybody needs to be prepared for.

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

My point was, people are always making a huge fuss about bettas in communities, when really, its not much different than putting any other aggressive fish in a community ;)

8. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

Kind of like when I put community fish with my Jack Dempsey and he eats them? lol

I do see the point you were getting at though :D

9. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Yes >=3

And besides that, I said "aggressive," not "psychotic!" XD

10. kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

Unless there is another variety I'm not aware of, I think dwarf puffers are brackish fish.

11. ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Dwarf puffers are freshwater... Completely...

And they're very aggressive nippers if they weren't raised with other fish. You have a much better chance of keeping a betta in a community tank than you do with a dwarf puffer.

12. vasqua03 Member Member

I haven't had any issues keeping other fish with my oto's beside a convict I temporarily housed in there for a few hours right before returning her to the store.

I don't want to add more oto's becasue I am afraid there won't be enough algae, they aren't fond of wafers although they accept some veggies.

It would be a single betta and the 3 oto's
    or
    a single dwarf puffer with the 3 oto's

if I go the honey route I may want to add another fish but if I can't put the neons in there then I would stay away from schools.

planning a specific tank for shrimp in the near future but I think they would get lost as this tank is very colorful, thought about a bamboo but i heard I shouldn't put one in a ten gallon?

A gold snail sounds nice and will own one, one day but again I don't want anything directly competing with the oto's for the algae.

So confused. guppies? 2 female, 1 male?