10 Gallon Build

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by bettaf1sh 7789, Jun 11, 2019.

1. bettaf1sh 7789

bettaf1sh 7789Valued MemberMember

I am going to be setting up a 10 gallon FOWLR tank. So far I have the tank, a glass canopy, an LED light from amazon, a couple filters, and a couple powerheads. For filters I have a cheap top fin filter, an aqua clear 70, and an Eheim liberty 150. I’m trying to decide between the aqua clear 70 (300 gph) and the Eheim (150 gph). I’m leaning more towards the Eheim. I also have a 425 gph powerhead and a 250 gph powerhead, leaning more towards the 250 gph. I plan to pick up some sand, live rock, and a 50 watt heater soon. Any advice on which filter and powerhead to go with?

2. Fisker

FiskerValued MemberMember

I currently have a 10 gallon reef. Not a ton going on in it (as I'm saving up for an upgrade to a 20), but I'm running a Koralia Nano 240 and an Aquaclear 30. I honestly feel as if I could use some more flow. Debris doesn't collect too much, but there are definitely portions of the tank where I think more flow would be beneficial. For that reason, I'd go with the Aquaclear 70 (if not for the flow for the massive media chamber), and then experiment between the 425 and the 250 powerhead. I think that will depend on the spread of the jet the powerhead creates - if it's a very wide spread (like the Koralia Nanos) I'd probably go for the 425. If it's a narrower jet, the 250 would be my choice. I personally don't think that there's such thing as too much flow in most saltwater tanks (as long as the fish aren't struggling), and I think that having a nice current in the tank keeps your fish exercised and healthy.

That said, any combo of the equipment you listed would work. The above is just my personal preference.

3. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

I also bought some aragonite sand and an aqueon 50 watt preset heater. Is this heater reliable or should I switch it out with the 50 watt fluval heater I have in another tank?

4. Fisker

I've found the Aqueon heaters to be reliable. That's just my experience, though.

5. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

Okay, thanks. I went ahead and put it in the other tank, mostly because it’s a smaller tank and the fluval heater looked a little awkward because it’s pretty big. I’ll use the fluval on this tank. I like that it’s adjustable and will probably be easier to hide in this tank with the rock and all.

6. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

I think I’ve also decided to go with the aqua clear 70 for a filter. I also actually have the Koralia 240 and 425. I’m leaning more towards the 240 with the aqua clear. I don’t plan on having any corals ever in this tank, so I’m mostly concerned about the flow being too much for a small fish.

7. Fisker

For what it's worth, most saltwater fish have evolved to deal with a lot of pretty constant flow in the wild, and don't have trouble dealing with high flow in aquaria. My clownfish (who was about 1 1/2" when I got her) absolutely loves the high flow, and once he got used to it, so does the sailfin molly I acclimated to the tank.

That said, I think that combo will work well. I actually really like having the powerhead on one side and the HOB on the other for a "crossflow" effect, and have found that the powerhead usually manages to push most debris towards the filter intake, which is then grabbed up by my mechanical filtration.

8. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

I actually noticed a small tear in the protective coating over the wires for the 240 gph powerhead. It’s tiny and doesn’t seem like it’s torn all the way down to the wire, and I went ahead and cleaning it, plugged it in, tested it… didn’t short out and didn’t electrocute my hand lol, so I think it’s safe, but I would feel better going with the 425. With the aqua clear 70 and 425 powerhead, would the flow be overkill? I mean, I guess there’s no such thing as Too much flow (obviously within reason) but I’m concerned that the fish will have issues swimming. An azure damsel is going to be going in here btw. Possibly some emerald crabs, but not sure yet.

9. Fisker

Good call on not using the powerhead. You can probably repair it, but I'd just use it for mixing water. Too much risk for my blood.

I think with an AC 70 and the 425 you're going to be definitely high flow, but I think you'd be okay, especially with a damsel. You might want to find a way to set up your HOB and your powerhead so that there is one area of the tank that's got calmer flow - not a dead spot per se, but somewhere where the fish can go without being exposed to the flow. That said, I think you'll be fine. Worst comes to worst, you might consider JUST using the AC 70. While it will be lower flow, it'll be more than enough for a FOWLR, and you'd just have to blow some debris off the rock and make sure you're siphoning waste.

10. OP
    OP
    bettaf1sh 7789

So I had another thought. I definitely want the aqua clear just for the media chamber, but I was thinking if I put a different impeller from a filter that maybe does 150-200 gph, would that slow down the flow? I found one from a top fin 10 that fits perfectly.