10 gallon build ideas?

1. v

valau Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I have an extra 10 gallon tank just sitting around, and was thinking of setting up another tank. I would like something low maintenance (minimal bioload to minimize water changes), with no heater required. Also, it will mainly just be getting natural, indirect sunlight from sitting near a window, and I probably will not be buying powerful aquarium lights, though will consider getting some supplemental lighting if necessary.

I was thinking of doing a simple planted tank with some hardy swords and moss balls, and adding just a male betta plus a bunch of shrimp.

Any suggestions on what other options I have here? I don't have much of an idea of what I can do with such a small tank. Thanks!

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

There are any number of inverts you could keep in such a tank. As long as your ambient room temp is in the 70s, you could keep a betta, but it would do better in higher, stable heat.

Have you considered a brackish tank? Opae Ula shrimp are easy to keep at room temp, don't require water changes with appropriate planting, all they need is a lid and the water they come in (you can order water when you order the shrimp from many online retailers).

3. Mattfinn

Mattfinn Valued Member Member

Yes I suggest a Betta with inverts.

Feeling fishy

4. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Go with a betta. There's lots that could be saved by you from a tiny little cup. :)

Maybe you could add a few mystery snails or something with the betta, but some bettas are aggressive with even inverts so watch out.
    What I did with my 10 gallon tank was add pops of red to the tank to add interest.
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    v

valau Valued Member Member

Great ideas. Thanks everyone! I think I will probably go with the betta and inverts. I'm not too keen on a brackish tank, as I hate it when the water evaporates and leaves all the salt behind. Will post photos when I get it setup in a couple months.