10 gallon build ideas?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by valau, Aug 2, 2014.

1. v

valau Valued Member Member

Hi everyone,

I have an extra 10 gallon tank just sitting around, and was thinking of setting up another tank. I would like something low maintenance (minimal bioload to minimize water changes), with no heater required. Also, it will mainly just be getting natural, indirect sunlight from sitting near a window, and I probably will not be buying powerful aquarium lights, though will consider getting some supplemental lighting if necessary.

I was thinking of doing a simple planted tank with some hardy swords and moss balls, and adding just a male betta plus a bunch of shrimp.

Any suggestions on what other options I have here? I don't have much of an idea of what I can do with such a small tank. Thanks!

2. junebug

junebug Fishlore Legend Member

There are any number of inverts you could keep in such a tank. As long as your ambient room temp is in the 70s, you could keep a betta, but it would do better in higher, stable heat.

Have you considered a brackish tank? Opae Ula shrimp are easy to keep at room temp, don't require water changes with appropriate planting, all they need is a lid and the water they come in (you can order water when you order the shrimp from many online retailers).

3. Mattfinn

Mattfinn Valued Member Member

Yes I suggest a Betta with inverts.

Feeling fishy

4. petaddiction

petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Go with a betta. There's lots that could be saved by you from a tiny little cup. :)

Maybe you could add a few mystery snails or something with the betta, but some bettas are aggressive with even inverts so watch out.
    What I did with my 10 gallon tank was add pops of red to the tank to add interest.
    Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    v

valau Valued Member Member

Great ideas. Thanks everyone! I think I will probably go with the betta and inverts. I'm not too keen on a brackish tank, as I hate it when the water evaporates and leaves all the salt behind. Will post photos when I get it setup in a couple months.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice