10 gallon Betta Tank

Punkus_Magunkus

Valued Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend has been influenced lately by my fishtanks and thinking of getting a 10gallon tank for a betta fish. I was wondering what other fish I could put in there without overstocking it. This would be her first tank so hoping for something pretty easy to maintain. Anyone have luck with a 10 gallon betta tank with some other fish in there? I have tons of MTS so I could easily give her some of those, I've heard mixed luck with shrimp and betta. I figure endlers would be too small and easily bullied and the fry would probably just be betta food. Anyone have experience with other livebearers, maybe some same sex guppies or platies? Any input is appreciated.

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
Guppys would be good they're pretty hardy for beginners just get the tank set up with water and dechlorinator (water conditioner) with your heater and filter on and running those are the biggest things then to start your tank cycle fishless is easier u can good more about this buy pure ammonia or just go the easy route n add in a pinch of cheap flaked food every day till u get 4ppm of ammonia hopefully she has a api master test if not try Amazon its 22 dollar last a while is accurate n will let her know when her cycle is done u can google this its important bc fish will die wen put threw the nitrogen cycle its harsh i killed multiple neons and danios bc I didnt cycle n ammonia killed them. typically from my experience I have 2 bettas that went threw the cycle fully and are still alive they can survive harsh water I guess but dont suggest it anyways u wanna know good easy fish so let's forget the cycle neon tetra lamp eye tetra any of the little tetra that are 1 inch about 6 of those n 2 mystery snails or 4 ghost shrimp would be good for a 10 gallon male guppys or all females u could probably get like 12 if u got good filter just domt mix them they breed unless u want that dwarf gourami I suggest one with really chill fish like 6 neon tetra cloud minnows platies actually are pretty decent in size so u couldnt do that much I think these fish will be easy to care for is your tank cycled if not I wouldn't suggest these fish then female bettas I wouldn't keep in groups for just anyone unless u believe u can handle it maintenance is easy but these fish are semi aggressive n nip occasionally but will a lot if stressed I have a female betta sority in a 10 gallon with a heater filter tons and tons of plants caves and wood its beautiful and very very planted for hiding spots wen they get moody I got 4 female bettas from petsmart and a kit months ago the female bettas were very tiny u want them all to be the same size I'd go for the littlest ones and u can mix n match crowntail halfmoon veil tail I did make sure u get lots and lots of decor theyll need the hiding spots i sat the tank up with prime did daily water changes with the bettas in the tank together till it cycled fully make sure all the bettas u get are all similar size all have visible eggs sacks n say female on the lid make sure u add them in all at once have lots of decor caves plants lotsand lots over do it literally but not taking away swimming space just enough to were they can disappear easily an some good water conditioner betta food and then let them nip a few weeks they should eventually stop especially if they're babies growing up together mines did if not have a container to separate the aggressive one but dont separate unless it's been months n the same female is aggressive and the others are not its gonna be normal for them to establish a nipping ordor and new boundaries but they should not kill or harm each other mines after 2 weeks of prime n daily 15% water changes my tank cycled no more water changes to keep ammonia at a safe level every day just a 20 percent every once or twice a month n feed the bettas I stress dontget more then 6 they do grow about 3inches once ur betta sority is established after some months n all your fish get along itll be amazing to show off bettas in one tank together some local fish shops even sell female bettas soritized already so u dont hv to get them use to another bettas presence but If u dont hv once like this do tiny females simple theyll be easier to become use to it vs a adult one

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I tried swordtails and they ended up losing their tails. Now the glowlight tetras they don't seem to bother.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Don't add any fish with the bettas. Unless you have an unusually calm one there will be problems, especially with ones like guppies as their bright colours will make the betta see them as a threat. A mystery snail is too big for most bettas to kill, but they may eat the antenna.

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I don't think guppies are a good choice in a betta tank. The betta will probably harass the guppies and their tails can be torned by the betta.
Neon tetras and cory carfish are a good choice to go with your betta.
Personally I have kept 4-5 cory cats with my betta with no issue.

imba

Well Known Member
Reaction score
In a 10 gallon, I'd suggest no other fishes with a betta. Snails and shrimp would be your best bet.

20 gallon or larger, will open up more options, if you are thinking of a successful betta community

Drakon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I’ve had success with a school of ember tetras and some Pygmy cories with a Betta. There’s a few factors to consider- first, your betta must be calm enough to not harass the other fish to death. Secondly, the fish have to be small enough for a 10 gal (aka nano). They also must be temperature compatible (your betta should be 78 MINIMUM).

Punkus_Magunkus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Im not really aiming for a schooling fish i feel like that would be a bit crowded but what about say platy or molly thats not too flashy?

TheAD

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have kept bettas with guppies, harlequin rasboras, neon tetras, ember tetras all to success. A couple platys or mollys should be fine for a 10 gallon tank but again like others have said it all depends on your betta. You could have a calm one like mine who just enjoys the fact that he is alive or you could get a very nippy one. It can be hit or miss.

Punkus_Magunkus

Valued Member
Reaction score
TheAD said:
I have kept bettas with guppies, harlequin rasboras, neon tetras, ember tetras all to success. A couple platys or mollys should be fine for a 10 gallon tank but again like others have said it all depends on your betta. You could have a calm one like mine who just enjoys the fact that he is alive or you could get a very nippy one. It can be hit or miss.
Yeah I know that bettas can really be hit or miss with aggression, hopefully it would work out, if not I do have a few tanks of my own that could house the fish if the betta turns out to be a bully.

WinterSoldier.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could try a FEMALE betta community. I'm running one right now in a 20 gallon with TONS of other fish. You might try 6 corys and 1 betta, or perhaps, 2 platies and 1 betta. Make sure you stock cautiously, and remember less is more!

Drakon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I disagree with the betta sorority, 10 gal is not nearly large enough for each betta the have its own territory and will likely end with dead bettas. While platies and mollies May be okay with a betta, a 10 gal is not big enough. IMO a platy needs over 10 gal if it’s with any other fish, and mollies need 30 gal as they can get pretty big and both fish are also serious waste machines IME.

Jellibeen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Drakon said:
I disagree with the betta sorority, 10 gal is not nearly large enough for each betta the have its own territory and will likely end with dead bettas. While platies and mollies May be okay with a betta, a 10 gal is not big enough. IMO a platy needs over 10 gal if it’s with any other fish, and mollies need 30 gal as they can get pretty big and both fish are also serious waste machines IME.
I think WinterSoldier meant a community tank with a female betta. He only listed one betta in the stocking options.

Drakon

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Jellibeen said:
I think WinterSoldier meant a community tank with a female betta. He only listed one betta in the stocking options.
My bad, if that’s the case I read it wrong! Thank you for correcting my mistake.

Meganrae8148

Valued Member
Reaction score
  • I have a female betta community with filter n heater its heavily planted I have 4 females got them from petsmart they are now getting along happily no chasing nipping anymore first two weeks they nipped didnt do no fin damage I suggest lots of plants get them why they're tiny make sure they got egg sacks theyll look a little bloated with white dot on the bottom towards the anal find add them all in at the same time by simply putting a net over a empty bowl n pouring them all in the net one by one gentle fast then add them all in the tank dont get cup water in yr tank water it'll throw up ammonia bc cups usually have ammonia in them then watch them let them nip feed a little once a day n domt add more then 5 in a 10 gal probably make sure they're little and all the same size they can be different breeds like a half moon with crown tail as long as they're both the same size Itll help them get along better n prevent a bully if u get a 3 little ones and a big one the big one will probably bully kill the little ones

WinterSoldier.

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Jellibeen said:
Thanks! Yeah I meant just 1 betta

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feel like Betta aggression towards other fish is grossly exaggerated. Ive been keeping Bettas for over 25 years and 99% of the time theyre fine as a community fish.

Even in a 10 gallon, Ive never had a problem keeping Bettas with Guppies, Black Neons, Rasbora Hets, Ember Tetras or Cardinal Tetras.

I feel like schooling fish actually help keep aggression down compared to keeping 1 or 2 fish with it. If it has a single fish to focus its energy on, its worse than keeping 6 other fish that are buzzing around together.

If you go with Guppies MAKE SURE you get all males and only do 5-7. Any other small fish like Black Neons, Rasbora Hets or Ember Tetras, Ive done fine keeping 7-9.

Also, be sure to put some plants and driftwood in there. Most people toss a few small, fake plants or decorations in. You need stuff that goes from the substrate to the surface. A big Amazon Sword, some Val, a big Trident Java, etc. Plant it, put a small school in there and I think youll be fine.

Punkus_Magunkus

Valued Member
Reaction score
DuaneV said:
I feel like Betta aggression towards other fish is grossly exaggerated. Ive been keeping Bettas for over 25 years and 99% of the time time theyre fine as a community fish.

Even in a 10 gallon, Ive never had a problem keep Bettas with Guppies, Black Neons, Rasbora Hets, Ember Tetras or Cardinal Tetras.

I feel like schooling fish actually help keep aggression down compared to keeping 1 or 2 fish with it. If it has a single fish to focus its energy on, its worse than keeping 6 other fish that are buzzing around together.

If you go with Guppies MAKE SURE you get all males and only do 5-7. Any other small fish like Black Neons, Rasbora Hets or Ember Tetras, Ive done fine keeping 7-9.

Also, be sure to put some plants and driftwood in there. Most people toss a few small, fake plants or decorations in. You need stuff that goes from the substrate to the surface. A big Amazon Sword, some Val, a big Trident Java, etc. Plant it, put a small school in there and I think youll be fine.
You do have a good point being able to single out fish may be a recipie for trouble. Thanks for the suggestions.

InsanityShard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Edit: I double checked and I am an idiot. Disregard this message.

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta's do fine with other fish. The key is to add your Betta last. If he is first he will establish it as his tank and be aggressive. I have a male in my 75gal. with many other fish and he minds his own business.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom