10 gallon betta tank

Discussion in 'kinezumi89' started by kinezumi89, Apr 29, 2012.

1. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Once again, since I can't figure out how to change thread titles and the 10 gallon is no longer a quarantine tank, my betta gets his own new thread.

We have slowly transitioned from all fake plants to all real plants - hornwort, anubias nana (according to petsmart (one of those "plants-in-a-tube"), but it looks way different from the anubias nana at my LFS), and java fern. Currently a male crownttail betta and a tracked nerite snail are in it. There are unfortunately a few straggler pond snails that came in the hornwort, so we're trying to pick them all out, but they're so darn tiny when they start out. The nerite adjusted well, but isn't quite making a dent in the algae, so we may get another one.

The tank (the 10 gallon starter kit from Top Fin) originally came with an incandescent bulb, but we didn't like the color of the light (and how it raised the temperature of the water a few degrees) so we bought a replacement fluorescent hood. It's much brighter, which is great for the plants and seeing the betta, but unfortunately it's also great for the algae.

The betta is technically in the picture, but he's dark so he blends in

Attached Files:

2. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +60
    Experience:
    3 years
    Hes the dark figure looming in the corner right XD. Tank looks pretty, id get some top shade, maybe a plastic lid or some floating plants but it looks good.

3. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Thanks! Nice to hear, especially from you XD Yes, he's the dark looming figure. The only thing I don't like about the new hood is that it doesn't illuminate the front very much, and he hangs out in the front, so he's usually just a dark blob.

When you say some top shade, if the hood is plastic, is that what you're talking about? I can also toss some frogbit in (I think it's frogbit, I'm not really sure of the difference between that and duckweed...it's in my 2.5 gallon if you saw that thread).

Attached Files:

4. soltarianknight

Ratings:
    +60
    Experience:
    3 years
    I mean shading from the light in the tank, like something that will create dark spots or shaded areas(aside from caves and such).
    Example

this is the lid from a betta cup. Also note the not so impressive but exhaustingly built bubble nest XP

5. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    That's a gorgeous betta! I see what you mean, I'll toss the mystery floating plants in and see if they form a dense enough cover. There is a cave-type decoration that he hides in a lot, maybe I should have taken the hint

6. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    I tossed some of the frogbit in...it isn't the largest cover but it should grow, and he seems to like it! He's been hanging out underneath it since I dropped it in. Thanks for the advice!

Attached Files:

7. Legures

LeguresValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 years
    I have the exact same 10 gallon kit with the same hood and I was wondering what kind of light bulb you have. I HATE the incandescent bulb that came with it and had it for 3 years. Fortunately, one of the bulbs went out yesterday which gives me an excuse to buy new ones.

8. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    I heard from Lexi03 that you can buy new fluorescent bulbs with the same base, so you can just switch them out. But they were about $10 each, so $20 for new bulbs...or about $30 (if I remember) for a brand new hood I got mine at Meijer. It's 100% the same hood (you could probably even just switch the light fixtures and use the old hood...which may be what we did, I'm not exactly sure, my boyfriend did it), but uses fluorescent bulbs instead. It's much brighter, and I like the slightly whiter light (the incandescent was yellowy orange).

The only downside is that since the bulbs are located in the middle of the tank (since the opening is in the front), the front near the top is pretty dark. The floating plants I just tossed in; because of the flow from the filter and the airstone, they're caught in the corner, which would normally be fine, but they're not under the light all! I'll have to figure out a way to corral them underneath the light so they'll grow.

Since the water isn't very deep and the lights are pretty bright, the plants we've put in are doing great so far

9. Legures

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 years
    Yeah I heard that too. You can just use the same hood but when I bought a CFL bulb, it wouldn't fit. So I returned it and I was looking for a new one. The light that came with the tank makes my water look so orange and disgusting.

I am getting some floating plants too and that's where I predict my plants will end up too. So if you find a solution, please share it!

Thanks!

10. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    I've noticed that the fluorescent really makes his colors pop too...under the incandescent he looked like a dark blob, but under the fluorescent you can see his bright blue streaks.

I know Akari did something (I think) where she made a divider so that the floating plants only covered half of the tank...I'll have to go back and see where I read it.

11. Legures

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 years
    My female Betta is very dark but I see shimmers of blue a lot. Hopefully the fluorescent bulbs will reveal the blue.

It's page 8 on her 10 gallon plant blog in case you didn't find it.

12. Lexi03

Lexi03Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Experience:
    1 year
    I got my aquarium cfls at wlamart, they where around $5.00 each, they cost about double that at Petsmart/petco.

13. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    I knew it was in there somewhere... I might have to tinker with the design so that you can't see it from the outside of the tank, though. (I like things looking fancy.)

Buh I don't know why I never remember to look at WalMart, especially since things are always outrageously overpriced at Petsmart. Oh well, now I have two hoods...

14. Legures

Ratings:
    +0
    Experience:
    5 years

15. soltarianknight

Ratings:
    +60
    Experience:
    3 years
    I use regular spiral CFLs on my hood(same kit BTW) they are 15Ws and together im putting 30watts on my 10gal, 15w are the highest you should go btw, the hood rating wont allow for much more. So far, everything grows absolutely amazing. Same for Akari, who did the same and her tanks are fantastic. Only $8 for me.

Make sure you have top cover when using high powered lights like this though, as you can see, bettas appreciate it.

16. Lexi03

Lexi03Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +40
    Experience:
    1 year
    The second link is the exact bulb I use. They have the same basic shape and size as the incandecent bulbs, so they fit right in. My walmart keeps them right next to the replacement incandecent bulbs in the fish stuff section, not in the light bulb aisle.

17. OP
    OP
    kinezumi89

Ratings:
    +119
    Experience:
    3 years
    Well unfortunately the duckweed/frogbit failed miserably in the tank and pretty much disintegrated. I think it's because the light only hits the middle of the tank at the top, and with the current they floated into the corner where it was too dark. I think I'm just going to find some sort of floating plastic lily pad-type plant to toss in there for him to hide underneath.