Question 10 Gallon Betta Tank What Type Algae Eating Fish/snail/other Would Be Good Keep Plants Clean Of Alg

Tigursevin79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any suggestions or would you keep it strictly male betta 10 gallon. Read many articles seems octo cats need 4-6 schooling corys need 3+ schooling and grow to big and so wondering your thoughts.. i do have mystery snails x7 nerite blk racers x2 and 3 gaint orange sulawesi rabbit snails in my 60 would these work if not a fish

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You shouldn't get nerite snails unless you are confident that they will have enough algae to feed off of, they don't do very well when being fed wafers or vegetables, they need more algae than anything.

I will definitely recommend nerite snails, they were always my favorites because of how great of a job they do at keeping the algae down.
Mystery snails don't eat much algae if any at all, they need calcium fortified vegetables and some different some proteins to stay healthy.

I don't recommend otocinclus unless your tank is fully mature, they are sensitive to fluctuations in the water and high nitrates.

Tigursevin79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea atm it was a cherry shrimp tank neocaridina davidi b grades but they werent keeping up on the algae on the el nino ferns maybe cause it was precycled 7 weeks for biofilm but thier healthy. But could add few or one my mystery snails from the 60tank

You shouldn't get nerite snails unless you are confident that they will have enough algae to feed off of, they don't do very well when being fed wafers or vegetables, they need more algae than anything.

I will definitely recommend nerite snails, they were always my favorites because of how great of a job they do at keeping the algae down.
Mystery snails don't eat much algae if any at all, they need calcium fortified vegetables and some different some proteins to stay healthy.

I don't recommend otocinclus unless your tank is fully mature, they are sensitive to fluctuations in the water and high nitrates.
Yea read octos need or should be schooled 4-6 tanks cycled very well and planted so nerites would work too then . I have 7 mystery snails and 2 nerites in my 60 .

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Did you mean you wouldnt recommend mystery snails?

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would just borrow a nerite or two for the tank periodically, let it take care of algae and then put it back in the 60 until you need them again. That way they will probably have enough algae to eat. A lot of times I will put my anubias, etc. that get a bit of algae into my shrimp tank and let them clean it up, then move the plant back to my goldfish tank.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No, mystery snails are fine, they just aren't much of an algae eater so I didn't recommend them for that.
oh ok i just didnt understand the message, you said you dont recommend nerites but theyn you said you recommend nerites, so i thought it was a type.

But i have to agree Nerites are awesome algae eaters!

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
oh ok i just didnt understand the message, you said you dont recommend nerites but theyn you said you recommend nerites, so i thought it was a type.

But i have to agree Nerites are awesome algae eaters!
I don't recommend them for tanks sparse of natural material and algae, they are malnourished this way and die quickly.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yeah? i dont know, i have a different experience with them. I added two to my 10g nano tank when i first set it up and its been running for 6 months. I see them eating algae wafers and the food i give my shrimps.

Tigursevin79

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yea ive had my 2 blk racers nerites for almost year in my 60 gallon then added 7 mystery snails they all devoured my algae fine but they have slowed down alot since they were younger wonder if they do better faster younger. Mine also eat ledt over flakes and i supplement thier diet ever 2nd or 3rd day with kelp algae pellets theyblove them so much. Also on 1 day week i give them canned cut green beans i nuke in microwave 30 seconds then drain and rinse well. (Thier no salt added but still) they go mad on greenbeans. Also made them have eggs but no hatches uet after 12 days though read can go as lo g as 2weeks for mystery snails.

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you don't supplement so much, your mystery snails will start eating more algae again. They aren't the greatest (nerites are), but they do a decent job if they don't have easy food to graze on instead.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom