10 Gallon Betta Tank On Furniture?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by BlissfulBetta, Apr 16, 2017.

1. BlissfulBetta

BlissfulBetta Valued Member Member

Hello!:) My room is full of animals, lol. I am trying to make more room for my hamster by moving my betta's 10 gallon tank from a random piece of Ikea furniture to the top of a 4 cube storage thing in my room. The thing is, the cube storage thing says the top part (which is where the tank would go) holds a max of 100 lbs according to the instruction booklet. My betta's tank has probably 9 gallons of water plus 10 lbs of sand.
    Would this be safe to put on top of the cube storage?

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

Yes :]
    1 gallon of water is 8.4 pounds so 9 is 75.6 plus 10 lbs of sand which makes it 85.6 pounds
    can't imagine you'd have over 15 pounds of decorations so the tank will do just fine

3. MattS99

MattS99 Well Known Member Member

Sounds fine to me! Anything else in the 10, or just the betta?

4. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Thank you!!:)

Thank you! Just the betta and sand and live plants :)

5. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

Do you have any pictures of the storage cube thing? I would say its better to put your hamster on that and the tank with water in it on something more sturdy. I've seen bookshelves start to bow with just books on them so I wouldn't really want to put a heavy tank on it. If a bookshelf bows and the books fall off, no big deal, but if your tank does, it would be a huge mess.

6. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

I am not able to put the hamster there because I am expanding her cage by connecting them together with tubes and both would not fit on the cube storage thing. I put the betta tank on it last week and it seems to be doing well. The storage thing seems pretty sturdy. :)
    If you think I should move it, I will. I don't want it to fall. :) Right now I don't have anything sturdier to put in on though.
    This is what it looks like, minus my cat, lol.
    20170420_192118.jpg

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  7. Alhana

Alhana Valued Member Member

If its doing okay, just continue to monitor it. If you see any bowing think about moving it right quick, but it looks pretty sturdy in the picture. I am delighted to see you have a nifty storage unit for all your pet things although sad to hear the cat isn't a permanent fixture on it = ) I'm going to guess you were cleaning, took something off that shelf and then the cat HAD to follow mandatory cat procedures and crawl on the empty shelf. At least that is how it works at my house.

8. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Thank you very much for your help!:) The cat has taken to watching my goldfish tank from below, so she has abandoned her beloved spot in the cube storage unit. Yes lol I took something out of the bottom cube and the cat worked her way in before I could even notice! :D

9. Kesh88

Kesh88 Valued Member Member

I have a 9 gallon tank on a much more flimsy looking IKEA bedside table and it's holding up really well. I'm sure your tank will be fine on the storage cube.

Personally I think the cat only improves the cube

10. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

Just add some kind of liner to the top of the shelf. Doing things with water so often, you might begin to get droplets or larger amounts of water on the shelf surface if you didn't protect it.

11. M

Manoj Arora Valued Member Member

Wow you are lucky to have so many pets. It took me about a year to convince my parents for getting a betta tank

12. GoldieBubbles

GoldieBubbles Valued Member Member

That is the cutest cat... oh my.

13. OP
    OP
    BlissfulBetta

Thank you very much! I agree, she's the best part! :D
    Thank you! I never thought of that! :)
    Thank you! And that's great you have a betta tank! :) They're such wonderful fish! My mom wasn't too keen on all the pets, and it took a while to persuade her, but she agreed because all of them stay in my room, (except for the cat obviously, the cat is our family pet) and I pay entirely for everything my pets need/have. :)
    Thank you very much! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice