Help 10 gallon betta tank cycling, help?

TimeHalt

Reaction score
I recently got a 10 gallon tank set up. After everything was installed and water was added, I put in both API quick start and API stress coat water conditioner at the same time, as well as starting added fish flakes every 12 hours. A few days in now, I am reading more and realized I should have waited 24 hours after adding the conditioner, then added the quick start. Did this mess everything up? Can I fix it? I want to get one betta in soon but of course making sure it'll be healthy. I know about cycling but I was confused about directions. Any help is appreciated!

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
reading more what than your realized?
I had asked several people and done research prior but I just found two articles about quickstart saying you should wait 24 hours after putting conditioner in before adding the quickstart

I was under the assumption that adding both at the same time would be fine

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Were you reading ammonia? I didnt think it matters but I could also be wrong.

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
Were you reading ammonia? I didnt think it matters but I could also be wrong.
Ammonia has been and is still at 0 ppm. I read that fish flakes take a few days to produce ammonia?

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TimeHalt said:
Ammonia has been and is still at 0 ppm. I read that fish flakes take a few days to produce ammonia?
I suggest getting Fritz ammonia on Amazon. My tank cycled in 28 days with that and Stability from SeaChem. I tried to use fish food but it dyed everything in my tank the artificial color of it.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Oh I see what you meant now. :hilarious: I think you will be fine. Just keep adding it like you are supposed to.

You have about a month till a fish.....fyi ;)

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
StarGirl15 said:
Oh I see what you meant now. :hilarious: I think you will be fine. Just keep adding it like you are supposed to.

You have about a month till a fish.....fyi ;)
Understood, but would one betta in a 10 gallon be ok while cycling as long as I'm doing water changes and checking levels daily?

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would wait. Even though fish go through cycles all the time. Get some Seachem Prime to protect the fish if you do though, like I said I wouldnt until its cycled.

Hugooo

Reaction score
Do you have another established aquarium? If so, you should squeeze the brown gunk from the filter cartridge into the 10 gallon. It will look gross for a while and stuff will be floating everywhere, but I cycled my tank in a week by doing that. If not, then use the above advice :) Good luck!

Btw, inserting pictures might help us a little bit.

OP
TimeHalt

TimeHalt

Reaction score
Hugooo said:
Do you have another established aquarium? If so, you should squeeze the brown gunk from the filter cartridge into the 10 gallon. It will look gross for a while and stuff will be floating everywhere, but I cycled my tank in a week by doing that. If not, then use the above advice :) Good luck!

Btw, inserting pictures might help us a little bit.
Nope, this is my first one. I just want to make sure I didn't mess everything up by adding the conditioner + quick start at the same time, since I have read now that you are supposed to wait 24 hours in between. Thank you!

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
TimeHalt said:
Understood, but would one betta in a 10 gallon be ok while cycling as long as I'm doing water changes and checking levels daily?
Its soooo much more stressful for the fish. No matter what the nitrogen cycle will happen as long as you don't flush the tank. My snail actually cycled his own tank before I know what it was and did weekly testing. Saves money to do a fishless cycle. Heres the link I used for my tank and it helps with day by day readings to let you know if you're o the right path.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hugooo said:
Do you have another established aquarium? If so, you should squeeze the brown gunk from the filter cartridge into the 10 gallon. It will look gross for a while and stuff will be floating everywhere, but I cycled my tank in a week by doing that. If
Ive seen people do that but it is poop not Beneficial Bacteria. Please dont. Rinse the media out then put it in your filter.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
StarGirl15 said:
Ive seen people do that but it is poop not Beneficial Bacteria. Please dont. Rinse the media out then put it in your filter.
I used to think this too but I have been convinced by reading so many success stories from folks that have done and recommend doing this. I am old but am willing to change my mind when shown proof that the muck will actually help cycle a tank. I am living proof that an old dog can still learn new tricks and when shown the error of my ways am willing to change my thoughts and recommendations. :D

I have found that even AngelsPlus puts some of that in with the seeded sponge filters they sell and stress not to toss it but go ahead and pour all of it in the tank. I do know that bacteria grows on filter media and on all the surfaces in our tanks but am now willing to admit that the mulm vacuumed from the substrate and the slime we rinse from our filter media also holds some bacteria and can help speed up a cycle.

In my humble opinion I think it will actually work better than anything we can buy in a bottle. At least we know it is the exact same kind of bacteria we want colonizing our tanks. :)

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Well ok... sorry Hugooo :facepalm: All Ive ever heard is dont put poo in your tank....lol

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
StarGirl15 said:
Well ok... sorry Hugooo :facepalm: All Ive ever heard is dont put poo in your tank....lol
If you could read back through all my post you will see that I thought the same thing. I am now sorry for that since it seems it does actually help. Just goes to show how much this forum helps. It even helps those of us that stuck with what we thought we knew but were proven wrong. Gotta love this place :)

New Threads