10 Gallon Beginner Tank

Belkkc

Reaction score
Hello! I am looking for some advice on my new 10 gallon.
I currently have three Black Skirt Tetras, three Zebra Danios and two African Dwarf frogs in my tank.
The tetras are having a hard time; they don't swim a lot, as they tend to stay in one part of the tank for long periods of time together. The danios act similarly. I did research before I went to pick out my fish with the intentions of getting 6 neon tetras, but the store was out and I went with the three of both species. I did research after I got the fish and now know they are both schooling fish, and I wanted to know whether I should go back and get two more of each kind. This seems plausible to me, but I'm worried the tank is too small to house 10 fish and two frogs, even though the frogs are so tiny. I should also mention I am a college student and 10 gallons is the maximum tank size, so a larger tank is not an option. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am an EXCITED fish owner and want to do what is best for them. Thanks in advance!

Kelsey

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
The reason these fish are not as active as they should be is because they are not in an appropriate sized tank. The minimum tank size for both tetras and zebra danios is 20 gallon. I would suggest rehoming all your fish and getting appropriate fish for a 10 gallon of getting a bigger tank is not an option.

LiterallyHydro

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Hello, welcome to Fishlore.

Since a larger aquarium isn't an option for you, you should consider re-homing your fish to get fish more suitable for your size aquarium.

Are you familiar with the nitrogen cycle? If you didn't cycle the aquarium first, it's likely the tank has ammonia and the fish would be suffering.

Here's a link to the Fishlore page regarding the nitrogen cycle.

https://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm

thinkpink94

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
You can probably keep the frogs though

Krysty

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You are right, your tank is too small for more fish. You actually need a larger tank at this point, mainly because of the black skirt tetra, experts suggest at least 20 gallon for them.

Newbiee

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would look at rehoming your fish, like the others said your fish are too large for the tank, maybe look at some celestial pearl danios! I believe they will work in your tank, but I could be wrong. I would also recommend reading about the nitrogen cycle before you buy any more fish.( I know it sounds overwhelming but it will eventually all seem pretty simple) haha

Good luck!

Update- the celestial pearl danios will work in your tank according to several websites!!

Belkkc

Reaction score
How should I go about re-homing my fish? Do pet stores commonly take back fish?

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Definitely, you'll normally get store credit in the amount of 1/3 of the price they are selling the fish for.

Belkkc

Reaction score
Also does anyone have suggestions on fish that can fit in a 10 gallon with my two ADFs? Thank y'all so much your help means the world to me!

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
You can try celestial pearl danios, ember tetras, or micro rasboras.

Angelfish lover 01

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My suggestion is get rid of everything, cycle it if you haven't, and get a betta. You could do a nice planted tank with a nice veil, crown tail or half moon betta.
Good luck!

happyfins14

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I hear plenty of people think African dwarves do best in a species only tank since they eat so slowly and tankmates tend to steal their food, but I'll wait for other members to chime in about that.

As for restocking options, I've always loved guppies. You could maybe get 4 or so and keep the frogs. You could also get invertebrates like cherry, amano, or ghost shrimp and some snails. Snails are usually not especially interesting but apple snails are pretty cool.

A betta would be in paradise there, but I would not really suggest it unless you are okay with it being alone in there, as normally bettas will attack tankmates.

Celestial pearl danios are very pretty

Anyways as others have said cycle the tank using the nitrogen cycle and then find some fish you like! Good luck

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hi Kelsey welcome to FishLore!!

I'm sorry you find yourself in this situation. Most of us can relate.

Belkkc said:
Also does anyone have suggestions on fish that can fit in a 10 gallon with my two ADFs? Thank y'all so much your help means the world to me!
Imo, it would be best to choose one or the other. Fish or Frogs.

If it were me, I'd just keep the 2 frogs because I am partial to them.
happyfins14 is correct, It will be easier for you to be sure they are getting their fair share of the appropriate food with out fish.
They are easily out competed for food.

Fish that are suitable for a 10 gallon can fit into an African Dwarf Frog's mouth.
They won't actively hunt the fish like a predator but they find their food by smell the lunge for it.
This puts both the fish and frog at risk. Of course, the fish being eaten but it could also get stuck in the frog's mouth.

You could have 4 ADF's in a 10 gallon (minus all the fish) however, it's highly recommended that new frogs be in quarantine for 2-3 months because of disease. It sounds like you wouldn't have room for that.
One which is deadly:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/chytrid-fungus-in-adfs-and-acfs.25348/

Good luck with whatever you decide to do

Aloeb1

Valued Member
Reaction score
An oscar is not an option

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Aloeb1 said:
An oscar is not an option
I don't think anyone suggested an oscar.

happygolucky

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Danjamesdixon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A nicely planted Chilli Rasbora tank looks magical

Toggle Sidebar