10 Gallon Aquarium Cycle Questions

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
No. Then you would have to dechlorinate and wait another 24 hours prior to putting in the tss+
Is it normal to have the levels not change since I put the first bottle in?

AnglerLuke

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
I've had a similar thought. I've got a Mason jar full of bio rings I've thought about putting in a 5 gallon bucket with a small power head and adding ammonia until my ppm are crazy high and yet still cycling. Just to see how high I can build the bb colony. How cool would it be to say that a cup of bio rings can process up to x ppm ammonia a day. Then I could sell it off to some poor person who needs to instant cycle a huge mistake impulse tank.
As I am currently in the middle of a fishless cycle, I am curious what a "huge mistake impulse tank" is. Perhaps that is what I have done LOL

sixtyfour

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
AnglerLuke said:
As I am currently in the middle of a fishless cycle, I am curious what a "huge mistake impulse tank" is. Perhaps that is what I have done LOL
We are talking about using seed material from an established tank. It's kind of like "cheating" when it comes to cycling. Honestly I've never done a tank that I didn't seed at least a little.

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
Remind me, is this the second or third day since you put the first tss bottle in?
I put it in on Saturday so it’s been two full days since

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
Ok. Of you dont have movement by tomorrow, you killed the first bottle.
I will test tomorrow morning, if not lower I will add a new bottle

AnglerLuke

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sixtyfour said:
We are talking about using seed material from an established tank. It's kind of like "cheating" when it comes to cycling. Honestly I've never done a tank that I didn't seed at least a little.
I would be lieing if I said I did not take it a little the wrong way, but also I honestly was a little concerned that perhaps I had performed the action as I got into this hobby rapidly and with little planning. That is also how I ended up here in contact with very informed individuals. I apologize for the thin skin, I don't take naturally to failing, which is what I have done so far with this hobby but I am learning and that's the important thing.

sixtyfour

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Seeding is how I get by. I've never done a fish less cycle, and I'm not sure I can. I've always had other tanks, buddies, or helpful fish shops.

I have a big jug of amoninia, tank, filter, and test gear. I should probably give it a shot.

AnglerLuke

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
sixtyfour said:
Seeding is how I get by. I've never done a fish less cycle, and I'm not sure I can. I've always had other tanks, buddies, or helpful fish shops.

I have a big jug of amoninia, tank, filter, and test gear. I should probably give it a shot.
while the science behind it is new to me it probably isn't to you, but none the less it is interesting. My fish in cycle on my first tank ended in utter tragedy so this time I am trying to save lives while speedily getting a tank of appropriate size and nature set up for my "survivors" lol

sixtyfour

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
That's the part that is kind of funny. I love the science part of this. I test my tanks WAY! more than necessary. My wife makes fun of me all the time about it. I've just never done a fish less cycle. I've kept fish for 35 years and that's just not how I do it. Sounds cool, I should probably figure it out.

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
Ok. Of you dont have movement by tomorrow, you killed the first bottle.
Just out of curiosity, how quickly would I get a change in ammonia after putting in the 2nd tss+ with current ammonia level of 2.0 ppm

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
EddieO said:
Just out of curiosity, how quickly would I get a change in ammonia after putting in the 2nd tss+ with current ammonia level of 2.0 ppm
Should be a few days before you get something you can tell off of the api test kit. It may even show a ammonia higher than you started with.

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
Should be a few days before you get something you can tell off of the api test kit. It may even show a ammonia higher than you started with.
Been 2 days, no change yet, any reason to worry if not moving by tomorrow?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
EddieO said:
Been 2 days, no change yet, any reason to worry if not moving by tomorrow?
No. At this point just test once a day. You're doing everything you can.

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
No. At this point just test once a day. You're doing everything you can.
Almost a week now, no movement from 2.0 ppm ammonia, should I worry?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
EddieO said:
Almost a week now, no movement from 2.0 ppm ammonia, should I worry?
I wouldn't worry. It appears the tss+ has failed for some reason. What are all of your current testable parameters and temp?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom