10 Gallon Aquarium Cycle Questions

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
If you are going to fish less cycle, you dump in the safe start, and add a few drops of ammonia in. There are calculators but I don't know how to get to them. Google should have a few available. Then you want to test to ensure you have the right amount of ammonia.

If you feel the need to do a fish in cycle, I would need to know what your planned stocking is to offer a suggestion. Just know that most people here frown on fish in cycling. However, it is the method I always use, and I always use tetra safe start plus.
So when I added the ammonia I read the calculator wrong and added too much and now my level is at 8.0 ppm+, will it drop quickly or is there a way to fix it?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would wait for about 24 hours and then do a water change. It's possible you nuked your bacteria from your safe start, but they may survive. Do a 90 percent water change tomorrow, ensure you are below 4ppm, and see if that disappears after a few days. The problem is tss+ will make your readings skewed for up to a week or so anyway

Hugginz

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
EddieO said:
I am new to this hobby and have just set up a 10 gallon aquarium 3 days ago. I added top fin water conditioner and top fin ReadiStart Bacteria starter. Past two days I have had readings of :

Ammonia : 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate : 0 ppm
I did a 10% water change today and still have same levels.

I have the liquid test kit for ammonia but bought strips that have nitrite and nitrate. I realize now that’s a bad move and I am buying the API master kit tomorrow. I want to know if my ammonia level is normal for this part of the cycle and if I should add TetraSmart Starter and Prime if I already added the others.

Along with this, my water appears to be slightly cloudy and I want to know if this is normal. Please let me know ! Thanks !
I cycled a 10 gal 2 months ago and had serious problems. The minute I changed to seachem stuff, everything made a turn for the better. It took me about a month to cycle it. I didn’t do it properly. I inadvertently used a pleco as my ammonia and I know he suffered but he survived all my mistakes. Now my tank is doing great! Just wait until you have nitrites and nitrates showing up, then make sure they disappear before adding any fish, and then you’ll know you’ve cycled. And don’t add a lot of fish at one time. I made that mistake too. I killed all of them except the pleco. Phil is bullet proof. I’m just a beginner, but I was where you’re at around Easter. It’ll get better. Just don’t get impatient!!

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
I would wait for about 24 hours and then do a water change. It's possible you nuked your bacteria from your safe start, but they may survive. Do a 90 percent water change tomorrow, ensure you are below 4ppm, and see if that disappears after a few days. The problem is tss+ will make your readings skewed for up to a week or so anyway
Did water change last night, this morning pH down to 7.2 which is good, ammonia down to 2.0 ppm, 0 for nitrite and nitrate. Anyway to know if tss+ wasn’t destroyed or not?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
EddieO said:
Did water change last night, this morning pH down to 7.2 which is good, ammonia down to 2.0 ppm, 0 for nitrite and nitrate. Anyway to know if tss+ wasn’t destroyed or not?
Kind of. If you cycle faster than normal it's good. There's no good way to tell in the moment though.

sixtyfour

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It's interesting to watch the fish less cycle projects. I've got a 10 gallon doing nothing and a jug of amoninia. I've always wanted to set up a lab project. Might not ever put fish in it.

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
sixtyfour said:
It's interesting to watch the fish less cycle projects. I've got a 10 gallon doing nothing and a jug of amoninia. I've always wanted to set up a lab project. Might not ever put fish in it.
I've had a similar thought. I've got a Mason jar full of bio rings I've thought about putting in a 5 gallon bucket with a small power head and adding ammonia until my ppm are crazy high and yet still cycling. Just to see how high I can build the bb colony. How cool would it be to say that a cup of bio rings can process up to x ppm ammonia a day. Then I could sell it off to some poor person who needs to instant cycle a huge mistake impulse tank.

sixtyfour

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Wraithen said:
I've had a similar thought. I've got a Mason jar full of bio rings I've thought about putting in a 5 gallon bucket with a small power head and adding ammonia until my ppm are crazy high and yet still cycling. Just to see how high I can build the bb colony. How cool would it be to say that a cup of bio rings can process up to x ppm ammonia a day. Then I could sell it off to some poor person who needs to instant cycle a huge mistake impulse tank.
Yes, and I have a Seneye so I can actively monitor.

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
Kind of. If you cycle faster than normal it's good. There's no good way to tell in the moment though.
Levels still haven’t really changed yet, should I be worried if it’s not moving by tomorrow?

Wraithen

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
EddieO said:
Levels still haven’t really changed yet, should I be worried if it’s not moving by tomorrow?
Not really. Worst case you wasted a bottle. You will still cycle it will just take longer.

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
Not really. Worst case you wasted a bottle. You will still cycle it will just take longer.
Would getting another bottle of tss+ help at all or no?

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
It would. I didn't say anything about it because most people consider it expensive.
I’m going to test the levels now, if still not down, I will get a new bottle today

EddieO

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Wraithen said:
It would. I didn't say anything about it because most people consider it expensive.
Would you suggest a water change to get ammonia from 1.0 to 2.0 ppm before adding the new tss+?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom