10 Gallon + Anacharis + Hornwort + Lighting + Fertilizer Question...Please Help!

1. Joseph Karthic Initiate Member

Hello,

I have a small 10.5 gallon long tank, 35 inch length and 9 inch height, 8 inch width..Fishes: 1 red dwarf gourami, 5 neon tetras, 5 male guppies..

I have floating plants like Anacharis and Hornwort because its a bare bottom tank.Currently I have 15 watts of light which I think is too low and plants are fading colours.

My questions:

1)Im planning to put around 35watts of light, Is that ok?

2)How many hours should I leave the lights on? My plan is from 11.30am to 9.30pm(10 hrs).Is that fine?

3)Do I need to add liquid fertilizer like "seachem flourish excel" or the fish waste itself is sufficient? Bcoz dwarf gourami poops a lot..

4)Should I switch on air bubbles at night for oxygen since plants consume oxygen at night and there will be no oxygen for both plants and fishes right?

Kindly help..thanks.

2. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

1. 35 watts should be sufficient since Anacharis and Hornwort are fairly undemanding.

2. Your lighting schedule is fine also.

3. You don't NEED fertilizer, but I think they would benefit from it for sure.

4. I don't think you need the air pump necessarily; as long as you're getting enough surface agitation from your filter and your water isn't stagnant, you're in good shape. I personally feel like the bubbles rob the water of CO2 so I don't usually use the air pump frequently.

In my ten gallon planted, I have DHG, Java Fern, Argentinian sword and Red Rubin swords, and for lighting I use Coralife 15w 10,000k, have a ten hour photo period, dose Flourish twice a week and liquid CO2 weekly after a water change and all the plants are thriving.

Hope this helps you!

3. Joseph Karthic Initiate Member

Thanks for your answer..But before this 10 gallon tank I've had the same fishes and plants in a small 5 gallon square tank with No Filter and Heater ,The fishes and plants were healthy, not a single death or gasping for oxygen.

In fact the plants did well since the lighting was good for that tank size..But I would do complete water change every weekend, In India the weather is always hot so I think a heater is not needed.

I guess I'll continue this tank too without filter and heater and see how it goes..But thanks for answering all my questions.

4. Lchi87 Fishlore VIP Member

No problem! Every tank is different so you should do what works for you. Most here would highly advise getting a filter especially since you noted that your gourami is a big pooper and your tank is still a touch overstocked even after upgrading to a 10.5 gallon. Getting a filter gives your beneficial bacteria a stable place to colonize. Are you testing your water at all? Using a dechlorinator?