10 gallon 50 watt heater

Discussion in 'Heaters' started by ivanjay2, Jun 25, 2016.

1. ivanjay2Valued MemberMember

So I have a 50 watt heater for my fish tank and its been almost 24 hours and there is water droplets on the above part of the tank without water but my water feels the same, there's not much of a difference and my heater turns on and off and my heater is very close near my filter and air pump? Anyone know why the heater does this and why the water feels like this?

2. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

WeepingShadesOfIndigoValued MemberMember

Do you have a thermometer?

I know that with my heaters the temperature is usually a bit different then what I set it to. Like with one if I set it to 77 my thermometer reads 80 and the other one if I set it to 77 gives an actual temperature of 75 so a thermometer is a really good idea to let you monitor the actual temperature.

Also for me I find it hard to feel the difference of water temperature unless its like 10 degrees cooler or hotter. I have to use a thermometer to check water change water because I just can't tell.

3. OP
    OP
    i

ivanjay2Valued MemberMember

Thank you so much!

4. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

No worries, just grab a thermometer for peace of mind and let it do all the hard temperature readings for you. Bought mine for 4-6 dollars a pop, I have three of them going (one on each side of my tank and one in the middle) and just yank one of them out to check the new water I am putting into the tank. Three is a bit overkill really one will do nicely.

5. OP
    OP
    i

Thank you, where should I place it?

6. WeepingShadesOfIndigo

I think the best place is on the farthest wall from the heater to make sure its heating all the water, but also make sure you have enough circulation to move that warm water around. Before I got so many thermometers I just moved the one I had around the tank every few hours to make sure all the water was the same temperature.
    If you get warm and cool spots you may need to up the circulation.

7. OP
    OP
    i

Oh okay, thank you!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice