10 gal Walstad tank

HakeyrKelly

Reaction score
First post, hoping to get some advice on my tank, it's been running for the last three weeks with stem plants and some moss with some sort of small snails, it's a sorted tank with ammonia sitting at .25 ppm. I get the nitrogen cycle but wondering if I have to cycle a planted tank? I've read a lot on 1-2 gallon bowls with this method and people add shrimp straight away, so should I not be able to do this with a large amount of water? Since parameters would be easier to keep? ( The corners of the aquarium are packet with plants that recently get a trim) I'm wanting to stock with a Betta and or rcs. Thanks for reading, hope you can answer my questions.

Attachments

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tank still needs to cycle even though plants are present.
Goldfish are ruthlessly hardy.
I'd get 3 feeder goldfish in there immediately, they will kick off a good cycle starting point.
Add a bottle of tetra safe start as well and leave the tank alone for a week or so...10 days should do it.

OP
HakeyrKelly

HakeyrKelly

Reaction score
what should i do with the gold fish when the cycle completes? that is if the fish don''t die....

carloz209

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
IDk about getting goldfish in there you have a heather and goldfish dont like warm water they prefer colder temperature. Honestly goldfish are really hardy so i doubt they will die even if your tank isn't cycled and they will grow rather large and are really messy they will creates lots of waste. I suggest you might as well get a betta they tend to be pretty hardy themselves. Also you said you want to put in a few Bettas? Im assuming you mean a sorority tank with only females? You shouldn't have more than 1 male in a tank that small if you do they will fight and stress each other out till they kill each other. Good luck keeps us posted on your progress.

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Since shrimp have a low bioload the plants are able to keep up with ammonia and allow the tank to cycle with the shrimp in it. Have you got amy floating plants? They would benefit not only the betta but also use ul nutrients very fast like ammonia. I recommend u get some

OP
HakeyrKelly

HakeyrKelly

Reaction score
carloz209 said:
IDk about getting goldfish in there you have a heather and goldfish dont like warm water they prefer colder temperature. Honestly goldfish are really hardy so i doubt they will die even if your tank isn't cycled and they will grow rather large and are really messy they will creates lots of waste. I suggest you might as well get a betta they tend to be pretty hardy themselves. Also you said you want to put in a few Bettas? Im assuming you mean a sorority tank with only females? You shouldn't have more than 1 male in a tank that small if you do they will fight and stress each other out till they kill each other. Good luck keeps us posted on your progress.
i'd get a single female betta ( since they're kept in community tanks in my lfs ) and a few rcs.

carloz209

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
True they do that at the lfs because female bettas are less aggressive and can be kept in community tanks with other female bettas, guppys among other small community fish. I personally have 4 female bettas in my 55 and they been there for 6 months happily no aggression towards each other.

AngryRainbow

Well Known
Reaction score
I think you'd be fine to start by adding the Betta. It'll be a fish in cycle but your plants may or may not completely absorb the ammonia from the Betta, as they have relatively low bioloads. Just be ready with your test kit and do water changes if needed.

I would wait at least another month, more if possible before adding the shrimp. The biggest issue with them is you want to make sure there is plenty of biofilm growing in the tank for them to feed off of, which is why many people recommend not adding them to new tanks. Not sure if walstad method changes this or not. I suspect you still need to let biofilm take hold.

OP
HakeyrKelly

HakeyrKelly

Reaction score
AquEric said:
I keep guppies around to cycle my new tanks and use them for dither fish I'm wondering why your going filterless a small sponge filter would do a lot for cloudiness and you could hide it behind plants just my opinion
I'm wanting to do a Walstad tank, I am thinking nof adding a small filter but I don't have a large budget to spend on pump/tubing/filter ect...

AngryRainbow said:
I think you'd be fine to start by adding the Betta. It'll be a fish in cycle but your plants may or may not completely absorb the ammonia from the Betta, as they have relatively low bioloads. Just be ready with your test kit and do water changes if needed.

I would wait at least another month, more if possible before adding the shrimp. The biggest issue with them is you want to make sure there is plenty of biofilm growing in the tank for them to feed off of, which is why many people recommend not adding them to new tanks. Not sure if walstad method changes this or not. I suspect you still need to let biofilm take hold.
So for shrimp I should wait? I read with the Walstad method adding shrimp within 24 hours is normal, I just feel uneasy about it since I want to do this correctly and not just rush out.

AquEric

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
HakeyrKelly said:
I'm wanting to do a Walstad tank, I am thinking nof adding a small filter but I don't have a large budget to spend on pump/tubing/filter ect...
Pm me I'll tell you about a super cheap website I order a lot of aquarium stuff from

HakeyrKelly said:
Just saw your a new member and can't pm me so I hope no one puts me down for this. Go to a website called AliExpress.com it's like a Chinese Amazon what you pay 5.00 here you pay 1.00 or less it takes about a month to get a order but worth it

SnookusFish

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HakeyrKelly said:
You could do a really cheap small internal filter mainly for water circultaion

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom