2 years
Hi peeps, how many guppies can I keep in a ten gall UK tank,

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

I have moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum. I also added the word Guppies into your post.
Thanks!
Ken

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi Critch, with good maintenence and no other fish I'd say that a group of 8-10 males would be happy in a 10 gallon. If you want to keep both males and females then I'd say 2 Males and 6 Females. Remember if you keep both sexes though then you will get lots of fry!

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi critch,
I would suggest against keeping males only, they do tend to get nippy/stressing towards one another if they don't have females to keep them occupied. They may also work out fine together, but I've seen them lose fins over one another and have had to QT the aggressive ones on more than one occasion, so be prepared to do this if necessary. I would only go with 5 or 6 if you go all male, and if you do go all male it would really help to have some sort of floating plants and stuff to let them get away from one another when needed.

If you go with a mix of males/females, the standard ratio is 1m/3f. I personally just go with 1m/2f and keep the females all basically the same size if possible, to keep them from singling out the largest one.

If you keep mixed sexes, as Nick already mentioned above, you will get lots of fry. If your tank isn't very well planted with lots of hiding places, then its likely most, if not all, will get eaten, but then you know how it goes, you try to save them and you lose them, you try to let them get eaten and they all survive, so keep in mind that you will have fry to deal with.

Take care!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads