10 Gal Tank Cleaning - Help!!!

1. kittykat0725 Member Member

Yesterday, I cleaned my 10g tank for the first time. But today it smells really bad! All the fish are fine and so is the filter. So when I cleaned it I put all the decor in a bucket of conditioned water, and scrubed them with a sponge. Then I scrubed the walls and hood of my tank. Then I vacumed everywhere in the tank, until about half of the water was gone. Then I filled it up again with new conditioned water, and replaced the decor. Did I do something wrong? Why does my tank smell so bad? BTW: There are 5 neon tetras , and a rummynose tetra. Two fish died in there in the past week, but I took them out!

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

I see you know the nitrogen cycle as it says in your profile, Do you have a water test kit? Knowing your parameters would greatly help! I recommend the API Master Kit if you don't have a test kit, It usually sells for around $30. Don't buy the test strips as they aren't very accurate.

Keep up on water changes, try to do 25% water changes daily until it seems better. Then cut it back to 50% once a week. I wouldn't vacuum the gravel everyday unless there is a lot of poop and food down there. Neon tetras are fairly sensitive fish too, I would worry about their water conditions.

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

The tank started smelling after you cleaned it? That's weird. Does it smell like sulphur? I've heard of sulphur buildups in tanks before, but I've never encountered it.

4. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

It is kind of weird it happened after you cleaned it not before. Did anything spill in the tank? or a dead fish somewhere?

5. emmynk Well Known Member Member

I agree with Adam. It might be sulfur. What water conditioner do you use? If its prime, it has a sulfur odor that is normal.

6. kittykat0725 Member Member

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405532985.012450.jpg
    The picture is what I use for conditioner. It smells a little sulfery. How do I get rid of the smell though?!

ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1405533133.410810.jpg

7. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Carbon will help to eliminate odors from the water. I do not see anything that you have done that would cause the water to smell bad.