10 Gallon Tank 10 gal stocking with very chill betta

ahouseofscales

Hi! I have a ten gallon with a very calm king betta, and I'm looking for some tank mates for him. I know he would do well with virtually any kind of tank mate since I had him in my 20 gal community previously and he got along with everyone very well (he was with fish, snails, shrimp, and crayfish). The tank is fully cycled, 78F, pH 6-8 depending on if I'm in Maine or Vermont. It has lots of fake plants and HOB filtration. It is bare bottom right now but I'm planning on adding some white sand/gravel mix and some hornwort. Here are my ideas for tank mates:
4 male endlers
or
2-3 ADFs
or
6 ember tetras

I am thinking of adding some ghost shrimp and a mystery snail regardless of the other tank mates.

Let me know what suggestions you have! Thanks!

AcornTheBetta

ahouseofscales said:
Hi! I have a ten gallon with a very calm king betta, and I'm looking for some tank mates for him. I know he would do well with virtually any kind of tank mate since I had him in my 20 gal community previously and he got along with everyone very well (he was with fish, snails, shrimp, and crayfish). The tank is fully cycled, 78F, pH 6-8 depending on if I'm in Maine or Vermont. It has lots of fake plants and HOB filtration. It is bare bottom right now but I'm planning on adding some white sand/gravel mix and some hornwort. Here are my ideas for tank mates:
4 male endlers
or
2-3 ADFs
or
6 ember tetras

I am thinking of adding some ghost shrimp and a mystery snail regardless of the other tank mates.

Let me know what suggestions you have! Thanks!
I'd do the ember tetras as ADFs would be heard to feed and your betta may attack embers. I know I know you said he was peaceful, but you never know... Embers are the safest bet and a good tank mate.

LadfromLondon

Unknown9182

ahouseofscales

AcornTheBetta said:
I'd do the ember tetras as ADFs would be heard to feed and your betta may attack embers. I know I know you said he was peaceful, but you never know... Embers are the safest bet and a good tank mate.
I've had ADFs with bettas before and I've been able to target feed with no issues, and he is a very slow and picky eater. I've also had him with very flashy guppies and he's been perfectly fine. I may be biased though since I have a soft spot for ADFs and livebearers

LadfromLondon said:
What colour is he? Ember or Green Neon Tetras could be cool

Here he is! This was back when he was in the 20 gallon with my swordtail fry.

Unknown9182 said:
Try black, neon, and green neon tetras For a neon party.
I like neons, I just get scared because they're so inbred and come with a lot of issues. Would a school of all of those be able to fit in a 10 gal with a betta?

Unknown9182

ahouseofscales said:
I've had ADFs with bettas before and I've been able to target feed with no issues, and he is a very slow and picky eater. I've also had him with very flashy guppies and he's been perfectly fine. I may be biased though since I have a soft spot for ADFs and livebearers

I like neons, I just get scared because they're so inbred and come with a lot of issues. Would a school of all of those be able to fit in a 10 gal with a betta?
Yes you would just have to have a even number because they will all school together, like 1 of each.

AcornTheBetta

ahouseofscales said:

Pretty betta!

ahouseofscales

Unknown9182 said:
Yes you would just have to have a even number because they will all school together, like 1 of each.
Alright, so maybe 2 of each for a school of 6?

wateriswet

I'd recommend nerites over a mystery snail. They are better for algae and my betta thought my mystery snail's antennas looked like worms/food...

ahouseofscales

wateriswet said:
I'd recommend nerites over a mystery snail. They are better for algae and my betta thought my mystery snail's antennas looked like worms/food...
I've never had issues with my bettas and mysteries. I'll try it out and see how it goes

Quiche

Gorgeous betta! Love the different shades of blue
ahouseofscales said:
Alright, so maybe 2 of each for a school of 6?
I'd actually just pick one of the tetra species and get 6 - different species of tetra might not school together, making them more stressed. Besides, 6 of the same species will look cooler than a variety pack haha.

ahouseofscales

Quiche said:
Gorgeous betta! Love the different shades of blue

I'd actually just pick one of the tetra species and get 6 - different species of tetra might not school together, making them more stressed. Besides, 6 of the same species will look cooler than a variety pack haha.
Thanks! Which one would you recommend then? I'm worried about black neons getting a bit too big for a 10 gal.

Unknown9182

ahouseofscales said:
Thanks! Which one would you recommend then? I'm worried about black neons getting a bit too big for a 10 gal.
Go with green because they are hardier than neon tetras

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom