Help 10 gal platy tank help

FaeBlackfyre

Reaction score
Okay, so I have a 10gallon tank. I have one male platy and 3 female platys. [I was accidentally given a male and female and then went to purchase 2 more females so the male didnt stress the single female out] One gold mystery snail and possibly 2 small purple mystery snails. In my 10 gal tank I have 2 java ferns, 3 small marimo moss balls, recently i added 4 java moss stones, and within the following month might add some anubis nana because I think it would look nice as a bushy background plant. There is also a giant center decor piece that resembles something like a coral reef. Now I do have a 40 gal tank to transfer fry to from the platys so their breeding habits arent really a concern of mine but my question is whether or not I could add some amano shrimp to my 10gal. Ideally I'm only looking to add at most two. Mostly to help keep the java moss clean because my current mystery snail doesnt really go near the java moss and it's a pain trying to get excess food out from the moss. My purple mystery snails arent a garentee seeing as they are being shipped and I will be getting them May 21st and there is a chance they might not survive being shipped.

Also, would I be able to add small mystery snails to a 3.5 gal betta tank? I have two 3.5 gal betta tanks with two male bettas. Each one has a java fern, a java moss stone and a small marimo moss ball. Will also probably add one anubis nana to each one as a background plant in the future but I was wondering if it would be okay to add a small snail to each tank to just help keep clean. I was considering at least one amano shrimp for each one but i dont think there is enough room for that.

Kinda what it's looking like at the moment. Tried to stick to bright colors because the tank was put together for my son who is obsessed with fish

These are my 3.5 gal tanks for the bettas. They have all the same stuff, just different decor items. They were a surprise gift and were originally given to me in a cup so I bought the first tanks I could find for a decent price just to improve their quality of life. So I'm curious if I could put one dime to nickle sized mystery snail in either tank to just kinda help keep it clean.

Attachments

Latrell

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mystery snail produce heavy bio loads so u have to be willing to do more frequent water changes. But u can learn this fact the more u feed them the more bipolar they produce and mystery eats a lot I mean a lot of food, so if u cut back their diet they get used to it and they be able to live with ur betta hopefully.

OP
FaeBlackfyre

FaeBlackfyre

Reaction score
Latrell said:
Mystery snail produce heavy bio loads so u have to be willing to do more frequent water changes. But u can learn this fact the more u feed them the more bipolar they produce and mystery eats a lot I mean a lot of food, so if u cut back their diet they get used to it and they be able to live with ur betta hopefully.

I clean all 3 of my tanks once a week. I probably do quarter tank to half tank water changes every Monday morning. The bettas probably dont need that frequent of a water change but keeping them on the same change cycle as the 10gal tank helps me not lose track of when their tanks were last cleaned.

More than anything I'm curious about whether or not it would be okay to add amano shrimp to my 10gal. Ideally I would only like to add two. I would like to think I have enough hiding places just incase the platy wanna be buttheads. I also probably still have enough room to add like a small cave for possible shrimp to hide in if they need it.

But I dont know if it would be a good idea since there are already 4 platy and a snail in the tank.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I probably wouldn't add shrimp in with your current stocking list in the 10g. You have a pretty big bioload going on in that tank already.

Also I wouldn't worry too much about the mystery snails shipping! They usually do great being shipped

OP
FaeBlackfyre

FaeBlackfyre

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish I knew how dirty platy were before I got them lol. My son has an obsession with fish and with the pandemic going on we decided to try to make his birthday a little special by getting a fish tank. So I stuck to bright colors and I wanted bright color fish. I've had single bettas before so I thought I could manage a 10gal tank. Apparently a pandemic also meant everyone was panic buying fish from the pet stores so my options were limited and I got two sunset wag tail platys. Then I learned one was male and the other was female after doing some research and after reading about their breeding habits figured it didnt matter if I returned the male or not because the females could already be pregnant so I just went and got two more female platys so homeboy would stop stressing the original female out. Plus I have places to rehome excess platy.

As far as bio load goes, typically I feed all my fish once a day. For the 10 gal tank, I usually throw in two small algae wafers in for the snail when I feed the platy because the platy will demolish everything and I worry the snail wont get what it needs but there is sooooo much waste.

Would it be okay to feed them every other day? I figure if I'm feeding them less frequently, it would decrease the amount of excess waste.

New Threads