10 Gal Overstocked?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tana, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Tana

Tana Valued Member Member

I've gotten back into the hobby and I totally cleaned out my 10 gallon which housed one lone bronze cory. I kept the media, but ditched all the substrate and cleaned off the decorations. The tank was a real mess so I unearthed another 10 gal I had, decorated it and put bronzy back in along with the media. Then I decided he needed buddies and got 2 peppered cories, 2 sterbai cories and 2 black kuhli loaches. The sterbai cories are super small, 1/2 inch if that. The peppered cories are about an inch. I also bought a new pump with bio-wheel - Marineland Penguin 100 and put the media in that. I also added a few pieces of ceramic media to help house more, cuz more is better right? :) I did all this on Sunday, except for the filter. I got that Monday.

Also on Monday I checked params and now have a ammonia spike. I've been doing approx. 1/2 tank water changes and dosing with AmmoLock, which I had for the pond because I wasn't sure if the Prime I had expired. Google searched yesterday and found out that Prime is good, so I dosed with that last night with the water change. I had also drastically reduced feeding due to the ammonia.

3-4 ppm Ammonia - will Prime protect that high? AmmoLock will protect to 4 ppm
    .50 ppm nitrites
    10-20 ppm nitrates - color is hard to determine with my old eyes

Here are my questions:
    1) Hindsight (story of my life) I probably added too many fish at once correct?
    2) Am I overstocked?
    3) Will the bio-media start compensating and cycle for the additional load or will I have to remove fish?
    4) Ordered safestart, but read that I can't add it with an ammonia binder. Is that correct?

I appreciate any and all help!

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeow Valued Member Member

Unfortunately I do believe that you 1) did get too many fish at once and 2) you are very overstocked . I can't help on 3 and 4. All of the Cory should have 30 gal minimum, the Loach should have 50 gal. Hopefully you can still return them or maybe upgrade them to something larger? Good luck!

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Different types of cory won't school together. You need 6+ of each type of cory and the loaches also need to be in groups of 6+.
    All those fish need 20 gallons+
    Yes you are very overstocked.

4. stella1979

stella1979 Moderator Moderator Member

Agree with previous posts, you are quite overstocked unfortunately, and all of your fish need bigger groups. You might want to check this thread about fish suitable to a 10 gallon. :)

Stocking List for 10 Gallons

I just wanted to comment on #4... You may use Tetra Safe Start 24 hours after using an ammonia binder like Prime.

5. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

The beneficial bacteria will need some time to compensate for the bioload. For new cycled tanks I usually just add 1 or 2 fish a week then test water parameters through out the week to make sure the bacteria in my filter can handle the new fishes bioload.

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I would rehome all the fish, and do this:
    8 CPDs
    2 peacock gudgeons
    15 red cherry shrimp
    2 nerite snails

7. OP
    OP
    Tana

After much internal debate I went out and got a new Fluval Vista 23 gallon tank and stand that I found on sale and complete with everything. It's only me here and I can only lift and carry so much with my wonky back. I know it's still probably going to be a messy cycle, but it'll be better for them than in the 10 gallon. Safe start should also be here today as well so I'll do the new tank set-up thing.

I would have just put them in my 38, but my Bolivian ram is rather aggressive and the cories did not do well in there when I initially had them together. That is my next project; cleaning out and stocking that one.

Thanks to everyone for the help, advice and suggestions.

This sounds like a great idea for when I fix my mistake. :) Finding where to put the 10g is the hard part now.

8. OP
    OP
    Tana

They're in the new one so fingers crossed that safestart works. I really love this tank and the kuhli's are out like crazy whereas before they hid and only came out at night!

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice