10 gal dwarf puffer tank picture! - UPDATE: Is it a Java Fern or a Sword?

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,

i had previously posted pictures of my two aquariums and got no response... having looked through some of the impressive aquariums on this forum i was inspired. so here it is: my 10gal dwarf puffer tank.

flora:
5 crypts (1 willisi, 3 wendtii, and 1 unknown variety)
2 java fern (the big one in the middle has a sprout which has 2 baby ferns growing on it)

the lighting at the moment is ~50W from 2 incandescent bulbs, these will eventually be replaced with some compact fluorescent
the substrate is simple gravel
no co2 or fertilizers (other than fish waste and food) are used
hopefully the crypts will begin to grow up to help fill in the tank.

fauna:
3 dwarf puffers (george, stephen, condoleza)
2 otos
1 african dwarf frog (henry)

everyone in the tank gets along very nicely - the puffers do skirmish now and then over territory

I am quite proud of this tank and I enjoy looking at it for hours while i study and work in my office!

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Re: 10 gal dwarf puffer tank picture!

Very nice! ;D

COBettaCouple

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
Just started

Great job on the tank, be sure to post pics after you get the FL bulbs as they'll bring out the color in your tank even more. I see your frog & 1 of the puffers I think.. If you get the chance, I'd love to see pics of the fish enjoying their new environment.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Very nice. Do you know waht the plant in the far back corner is? It looks exactly like one of my mystery plants.
Tom

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score

the plant in the right corner is a java fern, the plant in the left corner is a crypt wendtii

thanks for the comments - im not going to be getting the new bulbs until these ones call it quits.

good eyes spotting the frog and 1 puffer, there is also an oto stuck on the glass in the front

its hard to get a good action photo of the puffers but some will be on the way

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years

Thanks. I had meant left. I also checked it on plantgeek and there is no plant on there. Did you maybe type it wrong?
Tom

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years

Tank looks nice, good job . I would just go to wal-mart buy two cp bulbs and replace your incadescent. If you replace them you will see a big difference in light and your plants should start growing.

Those java ferns look more like amazon swords, where did you buy them?

cicatriz

Valued Member
Reaction score

Tom said:
Thanks. I had meant left. I also checked it on plantgeek and there is no plant on there. Did you maybe type it wrong?
Tom
Tom - the little stick that came in the pot says: Cryptocoryne wendtii "green"

hope this helps

atmmachine said:
Tank looks nice, good job . I would just go to wal-mart buy two cp bulbs and replace your incadescent. If you replace them you will see a big difference in light and your plants should start growing.

Those java ferns look more like amazon swords, where did you buy them?
the java fern(?) was got at petsmart... so you may be right maybe they arent java fern but they seem to be quite happy tied to stuff instead of planted (as i had them). do amazon swords make crazy sprouts like this one has (see picture below)?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom