10 and 20 gallon stocking

Potato1

I have a planted 10 gallon all ready to go, I just need some fish now. I was thinking of putting a honey gourami in there and some endlers (males). Is a honey gourami okay in a 10 gallon? I would like some shrimp in there but I think the honey might eat them.

For my 20 gallon I need a new centre piece fish as my lovely dwarf gourami died a while ago :( Has anyone got any ideas?

AquaticQueen

Honey gourami are pretty social fish so they should be kept in at least pairs and I wouldn't put a pair of honeys with tankmates in anything smaller than 20 gallons, so, in short, it won't work. A tank full of endlers would be really nice though. You could add the shrimp then too.
What is the current stocking of the 20g?

Potato1

Honey gourami are pretty social fish so they should be kept in at least pairs and I wouldn't put a pair of honeys with tankmates in anything smaller than 20 gallons, so, in short, it won't work. A tank full of endlers would be really nice though. You could add the shrimp then too.
What is the current stocking of the 20g?
Thanks for the heads up! Th 20 gallon currently has 2 neons, 1 small yoyo loach, 1 female betta, and 1 flying fox fish.

AquaticQueen

Thanks for the heads up! Th 20 gallon currently has 2 neons, 1 small yoyo loach, 1 female betta, and 1 flying fox fish.
No problem! ;)
Neons as in neon tetras? If so, then I'd recommend you get another 3-4when you can to keep the 2 company. The loach would probably appreciate a couple buddies too. Keep in mind though, the increase in stock would require more maintenance.
How do the fox fish and the other fish get along? I've heard they can be really aggressive and territorial. Is that true? I have no experience with them.

Potato1

No problem! ;)
Neons as in neon tetras? If so, then I'd recommend you get another 3-4when you can to keep the 2 company. The loach would probably appreciate a couple buddies too. Keep in mind though, the increase in stock would require more maintenance.
How do the fox fish and the other fish get along? I've heard they can be really aggressive and territorial. Is that true? I have no experience with them.
I have had the yo-yo loach since he was little, he has always been a very peaceful little guy. I tried to give him a friend but they just didn’t get along, so I sold his friend. He’s quite happy on his own. As for the flying fox, I actually initially bought two, the other passed away unfortunately. I haven’t spotted any aggression at all from it. I used to have 10 neons, but that group I got all developed these tumors and eventually died, I’m pretty sure it was genetic as I got them all from the same place. I bought another 2 from a different store and they are very healthy :) I was planning on getting some more but I haven’t been able to because of lockdown.

AquaticQueen

I have had the yo-yo loach since he was little, he has always been a very peaceful little guy. I tried to give him a friend but they just didn’t get along, so I sold his friend. He’s quite happy on his own. As for the flying fox, I actually initially bought two, the other passed away unfortunately. I haven’t spotted any aggression at all from it. I used to have 10 neons, but that group I got all developed these tumors and eventually died, I’m pretty sure it was genetic as I got them all from the same place. I bought another 2 from a different store and they are very healthy :) I was planning on getting some more but I haven’t been able to because of lockdown.
If the the yoyo is truly happy I guess he should fine alone. Do you think the fox fish would be aggressive toward a new loach or two?
When you can, I would recommend going to a breeder for the neons instead of a pet store. You just might find someone whose fish have okay genetics.
If the fox fish is fairly peaceful you could try a pair of honey gourami in the 20g as that centerpiece fish you want. I can't guarantee any of this will work with FFF though.

Potato1

If the the yoyo is truly happy I guess he should fine alone. Do you think the fox fish would be aggressive toward a new loach or two?
When you can, I would recommend going to a breeder for the neons instead of a pet store. You just might find someone whose fish have okay genetics.
If the fox fish is fairly peaceful you could try a pair of honey gourami in the 20g as that centerpiece fish you want. I can't guarantee any of this will work with FFF though.
I really haven't seen any aggression at all from the flying fox or the loach. When I had two loaches the fff was still not aggressive. The other loach that I sold was quite aggressive and that's the reason the two loaches didn't get along. When I got the second one the peaceful one wouldn't stop hiding away! Now that the aggressive one is gone, its back to its normal self.

I like the idea of going to a breeder for the tetras, hopefully I can get some really good ones! I could try some honey gourami's, they would be quite cool looking actually.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Masspanic
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank 20 gallon long stocking
Replies
Views
SuperSword48
Replies
Views