1 root tab for one Amazon sword?

Discussion in 'Plant Fertilizers' started by DanB80TTS, Jul 3, 2015.

1. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

I bought another Amazon sword today, a nice little one (in a tube). I have some in a bigger tank but I'm going to put this in a 10gallon. Would it be fine to just stick one seachem root tabs under it?
    Pin my larger tank I have root tabs spread throughout the substrate but I i have more than just one root feeder in it.

2. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

Yep, one root tab for the one plant in the smaller tank should be fine. The plant will very likely fill your 10g when its fully grown, so you may have to trim it at some point, or move it to a larger tank.

3. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

Ok thanks, Yh I'm aware they grow to crazy sizes, the ones in my 29g are filling out more than they are growing up. This new one is very small right now, it should be good for quite a while in the 10g.

4. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Yeah 1 root tab is fine for the sword. I usually add 1-3 root tabs per sword. I do agree with it outgrowing your 10 gallon tank. Swords grow pretty fast and big under the right conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

It will be a low tech tank, nothing crazy, light will just be single t8, so I don't see it growing out of the tank too quickly,

6. AquaticBrandon

My swords grew crazy with dirt

7. OP
    OP
    DanB80TTS

They are beautiful plants, how often should you replace the tabs? I know seachem are expensive, just ordered 40 of em for 20 bucks on sale hoping that should last me a good while.

8. Bluestreakfl

BluestreakflWell Known MemberMember

peabodysparadise.com root tabs are a much better deal. jetajockey runs the site, they are a forum sponsor. The tabs are a bit larger than the seachem ones and much cheaper per tab even after shipping. Im able to break them into thirds or halves and theyve done really good for me, highly recommended. They are $5.00 for 25 tabs, I ordered 2 packs and after shipping my total was like $12 and change.

The "RuTabs" are their all around general purpose tabs but they also make various specific ones for micros, iron, etc.

9. AquaticBrandon

I replace mine every few months or so. I got mine from eBay. I think I got 50 tabs for 5 bucks, they are the Oscomote root tabs

10. SrrmanNew MemberMember

Seachem tabs are good for 3-4 months and Amazon's respond well to them. I had 2 in a 24 inch deep low light tank. They grew to the top and put off runners that had new plant growth on them

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice