1 Platy Fry in Breeder Box - Stunted Growth?

1. theRqua Member Member

Hi,
    (TL;DR at bottom)
    Some time ago, I assume 7-10 days ago, my platy female spawned fish. I let nature take its course. A few days ago, I noticed a fry has been surviving, cunningly hiding under my anubias and wandering around it.
    Today I performed the weekly water change and took the opportunity to remove some gravel and a plastic stalk from it (it didn't cover the main root, no worries) and it started floating more above than previously.
    This was the moment I started worrying about the fry. It has been surviving so well, and now it has less options. It did move to a bushy plastic fern plant, and also to a small pink silicone bush on the other side. But I felt his survival chances decreasing and started to feel a bond to that strong little survivor.
    This is why I took my unused breeder box and placed the fry inside it. I place some gravel so it won't escape through the small holes of the box, and that it'll feel natural. Also placed some plastic stalks inside.

TL;DR: I have a fry at about 7-10 days old inside a breeder box, with some gravel and plastic stalks. While I worry about stunted growth I also worry about its survival in the aquarium due to a slight change yet meaningful change for the fry's survival.
    The box's dimensions are 12.5x7x7.5 cm, the top of the box meets with the water surface so the fry won't escape.
    It's at the bottom right of the picture:
    [​IMG]

Any info on when to release it to ensure no stunted growth nor risk of being eaten?

Thanks!

2. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

whenever the size of the fish no longer fits into the mouth of the fish in the tank is a good time to release the fry into the tank. I'm not too sure about stunting in a breeder box but I wouldn't think it would be a problem since he will most likely be removed before the fry stops growing.

3. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

I think there will be no problem keeping the fry in the breder box.

4. theRqua Member Member

It was small enough to be nibbed by a Neon Tetra, though not swallowed.
    After being placed in the box, a Zebra Daino tried to eat it through the box's border to no avail, so I highly doubt the fry is big enough.

5. theRqua Member Member

The fish is still in the box. It has grown a bit. When should I take it out?

6. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

When the size of the fish no longer fits into the mouth of the fish in the tank is a good time to release the fry into the tank.

7. theRqua Member Member

How can I know that?
    And fish can also open their mouth and moderately gulp it, or even try to eat it as they can also bite

8. Protim Sarkar Well Known Member Member

It is better to put the fish in the main tank after a month.