1 Out Of 4 Fish Gulping For Air???

AzulFishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have 1 betta and 4 harlequin Rasbora in 10g heated, airpump, filtered tank. Today 1 of my rasbora started spitting out flake food and blood worms and started gulping for air?? The others are fine! What's that from? What should I do?! I'm afraid by tomorrow he'll be dead. I read online there could be a film on surface that can effect the air pump bubbles, but I don't see any film. Had the fish like a week. Uncycled tank.

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
In an uncycled tank, there are a lot of things that could be going on, the most likely of which being ammonia/nitrite poisoning or a secondary infection from the stress of bad water quality.
Do you know your current water parameters?
If not, how often do you change the water, how much do you change, and when was the last time you changed it?

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with what everyone else is saying above, having any fish in an uncycled tank is very dangerous for the fish and cruel in a way. You should always cycle a tank before putting fish in, no exceptions unless you are doing 100% water changed every single day. Nitrate/Ammonia levels in the tank can dangerously spike and cause the fish to have problems such as very high stress which in turn could be fatal for them, or other types of disorders or diseases. If I were you I would do a large water change (90%), be sure to pre-treat your water before adding it into your tank, and get the temperature as close as you can to what they are use to.

varmint

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
As per IceFyre, your tank is not cycled and that's what is causing all your problems. Medication is not going to help your situation.

Alex Pasquale

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
AzulFishy said:
It's a long shot but do u think if I put him in quarantine in fresh water and maybe t.c. TETRACYCLINE it might help?
No I would not quarantine him because that would most likely be pointless. As I said, just do a large water change on your tank (90%) and keep a close eye on him.

AzulFishy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks guys but he died just now

IceFyre1414 said:
In an uncycled tank, there are a lot of things that could be going on, the most likely of which being ammonia/nitrite poisoning or a secondary infection from the stress of bad water quality.
Do you know your current water parameters?
If not, how often do you change the water, how much do you change, and when was the last time you changed it?
I change it 1 per week 30 percent and last checked at pet store was ph 7.0, 0,0,0

_IceFyre_

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
When was that test? It's not normal for a tank to have no ammonia, nitrites, or nitrates unless there's no fish in it or it's heavily planted. I recommend doing a 50% water change asap.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom