1 out of 2 African Dwarf Frogs Died: New frog?

1. UTGrad Member Member

I had an AFD pass away early this AM. I have a 5 gallon aquarium with HOB filter and heater with live plants. Should I get a new frog or just leave the remaining one frog by itself?

2. Airth Member Member

Do you know why your frog has passed? What are your water parameters? Is your tank cycled?

3. UTGrad Member Member

I added a Nerite snail and one of my frogs got sick the next day. The other frog was just fine. Now I have one healthy frog and a healthy snail.

4. Mifuluhu Well Known Member Member

ADF need cycled water like fish. Get this to happen and add frogs based on tank size. I had one lone guy for quite a while. He was fine but once I finally found him froggy companions he's much happier and active! Love these goofy little frogs :)

5. Pattie G Initiate Member

I have kept and bred ADF's in the past, but I moved and had to take down my tanks and rehome my frogs. Now I've got a tall 16 gal planted tank with four guppies, seven neon tetras and a platy. I've bought ADF's from Petsmart several different times. Always lost them. I do a partial water change each time and do a full test on the water each time. Water is always fine. I brought home two ADF's yesterday and put them into a breeding net with plants floating in it so that I could be sure that they were eating and the other fish didn't get their bloodworms. This morning I found one dead. The other one seems to be ok, swimming and diving as he should. Everything else in the tanks seems normal. The tank has been up and running for several months with no problems. Even had a mama guppy give birth and all three babies survived.
    Also, there was a dead frog in the tank at the Petsmart where I bought them, and I noticed dead fish in other tanks in the store. As I said, I've raised ADF's in the past, harvested their eggs, and hatched and raised their babies.