X
Cookie Policy

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website! Learn More

Reject (Leave Website)

1 Oto Dead Yesterday, 1 Corydoras Pafeatus Dead Today

1. LuniqueKero Member Member

MY 55 Gal has been running since late september.

4 weeks ago I got 6 new otos, one of them got sick (some sort of white foam was growing on its tail, doesnt seem to have spread to any other fish) and died 2 weeks ago and another one died yesterday. I didn't make too big of a deal of it because I know that otos have a high chance of dying after being moved to a new tank.

But today I found one of my 6 Corydoras Pafeatus dead, couldnt see anything unusual on its body.

I have about 50 fish in there, most of them small like danios and cloud mountain minnows, the only fish that have the potential to grow are my boesemani rainbow, siamese algae eater and my bristlenose pleco. Tons of plants and a good filter so oxygenation shouldnt be a problem.

The only thing I can think of is that this morning I placed a cantalope with bug sticks in it on a fork and placed it in the tank for my pleco soon after showering and there may have been small amount of soap on my hand and arm, i usually do this in the evening but I was in a hurry and couldnt feed them so I figured this would last them for the day.

I also started adding pottassium supplements in my tank, 2 corks of it every 2-3 days before my oto and Corydoras Pafeatus died.

2. T

TheCrayfishGuy Member Member

your tank is over stocked. 50 fish all abut 2in is to much.

3. LuniqueKero Member Member

why though? don't get me wrong I wouldn't add anymore fish but I take care of the tank, do around 10-20% water change weakly to clean the wastes, my nitrate have literally never been above 5ppm in all the months I've had the tank, I dont notice any aggressive, chasing behavior, each specie seems peaceful and doing their own things. The plants are so plentiful and the filter agitates the surface so I doubt theyre lacking oxygen too.

4. LuniqueKero Member Member

Also is it possible that bottom dwelers starve? My fish are not picky eaters, they jump at everything, including sinking food so I dont know if the Corydoras Pafeatus get enough to eat.

5. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

6. LuniqueKero Member Member

ph 7.4, everything else is 0, I feed 1 bugstick a day for plecos, 1 or 2sinking wafers for Corydoras Pafeatus, and for the other fish I alternate between flakes and frozen shrimps

9 Cloud Mountain Minnow
    12 Zebra Danio

1 Ancistrus Pleco (Bristlenose)
    1 Clown Pleco
    12 otocinclus Vittatus
    4 Siamese Algae Eater
    5 Corydoras Pafeatus

6 boesemani rainbow

Total: 50

7. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The only stocking issue I really see is the Boesemani and the clown pleco - they need warmer water than everything else. Rehome them and I think you're set :) (though I'd add more cories of the same species, C. paleatus)

You shouldn't have zero nitrates in a cycled tank. What test are you using?

8. LuniqueKero Member Member

I have 5ppm and it never went up, ever, API Freshwater kit.

The temperature is kept at 78, I started with cold water with the cloud mountain when I was cycling then I was told theyre fine with warmer water.

Any thought what could have killed the cory?

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're not fine in warmer water - they'll have a shorter lifespan and an increased susceptibility to diseases. Same with the peppered cories, they need much warmer temps. I wouldn't be surprised if the high temps were involved in its death.

Make sure you're really shaking nitrate bottle #2 - bang it against a hard surface quite a bit to mix it well. It's surprising you don't get more nitrates considering how many fish you have and how little water you change, that's all.

10. LuniqueKero Member Member

I've had them for quite a while though, whats the ideal temperature for them? And I do shake the crap out of that bottle, my tank is heavily planted so I'm pretty sure the plants take care of it, I never had a spike even when I was cycling the tank.

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

74 F or lower is good for them, but that's too low for the Boesemani and the clown pleco.

Glad the plants help with the nitrates!

Share Page: