Help 1 of 7 tiger barbs in est. tank fell ill ?

U.S.S. Howard

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Have had 7 tigers in my 55 gal. tank for over 1 1/2 months, 2-3 wks. ago they showed signs of early ick,.... rubbing gills on items in tank. Using Rid-Ick and turned up the temp to 80, today would be 7th day treatment. after the 2-3 day of treatment the gill rubbing decreased. They looked happy. but today i noticed 1 barbs dorsal, tail, anal, and pelvic fins....i guess weathered or dmg? they seem as if the barb was homeless, were my others have fully healthy flawless fins, when I first bought them they already est. the hierarchy in the bag on the way home. He also is doing some kinda shake and is breathing heavily. he does his shakes in a downward position , he ate today and he does not seem to want anything to do with the 6 other barbs. 6 times a day I sit down an watch my 55 gal. for 10 mins to check everyfish an monitor moods, behaviors and treatment. Every 3 days I check for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, which is always safe and ideal with proper water changes but the water hardness is always hard and pH is always way high 8.0...maybe more on the pH side, i do not know I only have tap water an live in a small town where the tap is suited to drink but fear the fish maybe hurting, i have already lost 2 mollies bout a month ago, I dont know from what though.

I currently have 12"+ pleco, 2 blk skirt tetras, 2 albino skirts, 5 mollies, 3 red wag platies, 4 serpae tetras.

plz help
( I know the pleco is to big, had him for 6-7 yrs and then i added all these new fish recently, currently getting 225 gal. next month for him.)

Thank you very much in advance.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to the forum!

The fish did not establish their hierarchy in the bag on the way home. the ride home is very stressful and every fish was more concerned about themselves than anything else. The fish don't begin sorting things out until they are in the tank.

The other barbs have rejected that fish, and will kill it. They've already started. First they destroy the fins, then they harass and starve it to death. This is pretty normal tiger barb behavior.

You can try to nurse it back to health, but IME once the fish is healed and reintroduced the others attack it again. Bottom line - they don't want that fish in the tank with them. I usually euthanize them once they've been ostracized, as that's the beginning of the end.

You should be dosing with water conditioner when you do water changes. That will unsure that the fish aren't hurting.

U.S.S. Howard

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hmmm maybe, yes i do use the water conditioner, every change. Are you suggesting using it between changes to heal? but yes I do have a side tank that I will nurse him. wow...did not know that is also behavior for barbs. i wonder why? but I will try to introduce him in a month an see how that goes.

thanks for your advice.

U.S.S. Howard

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
now I have a second Barb that has almost his tail utterly gone...same size as my first one that has some of his fins gone. they both swim well I guess, and eating great.... putting both in a breeder net to divide an see what happens. Is this one also being rejected from the pack? I have a 2-3 yr old blk skirt tetra an his fins are soo long, but he does not seem to have been nipped at. Been conditioning the water an have wkly. water changes.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom