1 male guppy out of like 10 guppies

FishPlanet

This is weird. A couple months ago, Some guppies joined the world. Now they are all getting their colors we are now able to tell apart their genders. We only have 1 male guppy and the others all look to be females. How can this happen?

Coradee

Although I’ve not seen any scientific info on this I believe temperature has something to do with the ratio of genders you’ll get.
I’m sure someone will have a more scientific response but that’s my belief :)

HupGuppHup

Are you 100% sure only 1 male? It's quite possible, but sometimes some males reveal themselves late. That said the batches I've had so far are all skewed probably around 70% female.

BPSabelhaus

Both of those. In my tank (saltwater @ 82f) I skew the opposite, more male (Endlers) than female. My outdoor pond (freshwater, variable from 60’s-90’s) will be a nice comparison when I break it down in a few months.

FishPlanet

Are you 100% sure only 1 male? It's quite possible, but sometimes some males reveal themselves late. That said the batches I've had so far are all skewed probably around 70% female.

I]m not 100% sure but the other ones are just plain yellow and this one is turning red and dark yellow and his analfin is pointy too. The other guppies analfins are triangular.

bermese2002

Both of those. In my tank (saltwater @ 82f) I skew the opposite, more male (Endlers) than female. My outdoor pond (freshwater, variable from 60’s-90’s) will be a nice comparison when I break it down in a few months.
Today I learnt that guppies can live in saltwater. That is so cool!

BPSabelhaus

Today I learnt that guppies can live in saltwater. That is so cool!
Up to 150% avg sea salinity at that!

Mine live between 1.018 and 1.022 for the most part and they LOVE macros like sea lettuce. Lil piggies they are.

A4FA3C23-1B02-4B67-8B73-4F6364147BD9.jpeg

Edit: Yes, the barnacles are alive too lol

bermese2002

Up to 150% avg sea salinity at that!

Mine live between 1.018 and 1.022 for the most part and they LOVE macros like sea lettuce. Lil piggies they are.
Amazing! I never knew. Love the tank!

I bet you don't need to worry about ich if you keep them in saltwater? Or is there a whole host of different diseases you need to look out for?

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Idkitsathrowaway
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
Cream
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank So Many Guppy Fry
  • DogsOfWars
  • Guppy
Replies