1 male guppy out of like 10 guppies

FishPlanet

This is weird. A couple months ago, Some guppies joined the world. Now they are all getting their colors we are now able to tell apart their genders. We only have 1 male guppy and the others all look to be females. How can this happen?

Coradee

Although I’ve not seen any scientific info on this I believe temperature has something to do with the ratio of genders you’ll get.
I’m sure someone will have a more scientific response but that’s my belief :)

HupGupp

Are you 100% sure only 1 male? It's quite possible, but sometimes some males reveal themselves late. That said the batches I've had so far are all skewed probably around 70% female.

BPSabelhaus

Both of those. In my tank (saltwater @ 82f) I skew the opposite, more male (Endlers) than female. My outdoor pond (freshwater, variable from 60’s-90’s) will be a nice comparison when I break it down in a few months.

FishPlanet

Are you 100% sure only 1 male? It's quite possible, but sometimes some males reveal themselves late. That said the batches I've had so far are all skewed probably around 70% female.

I]m not 100% sure but the other ones are just plain yellow and this one is turning red and dark yellow and his analfin is pointy too. The other guppies analfins are triangular.

bermese2002

Both of those. In my tank (saltwater @ 82f) I skew the opposite, more male (Endlers) than female. My outdoor pond (freshwater, variable from 60’s-90’s) will be a nice comparison when I break it down in a few months.
Today I learnt that guppies can live in saltwater. That is so cool!

BPSabelhaus

Today I learnt that guppies can live in saltwater. That is so cool!
Up to 150% avg sea salinity at that!

Mine live between 1.018 and 1.022 for the most part and they LOVE macros like sea lettuce. Lil piggies they are.

A4FA3C23-1B02-4B67-8B73-4F6364147BD9.jpeg

Edit: Yes, the barnacles are alive too lol

bermese2002

Up to 150% avg sea salinity at that!

Mine live between 1.018 and 1.022 for the most part and they LOVE macros like sea lettuce. Lil piggies they are.
Amazing! I never knew. Love the tank!

I bet you don't need to worry about ich if you keep them in saltwater? Or is there a whole host of different diseases you need to look out for?

homeschool513

I've had two sets of fry that were nearly all female. I have heard that water ph levels can affect the sex of the fry.

emeraldking

This is weird. A couple months ago, Some guppies joined the world. Now they are all getting their colors we are now able to tell apart their genders. We only have 1 male guppy and the others all look to be females. How can this happen?
Your situation is not rare. There are multiple options why a guppy reproduces more males or females. One of them "can" be the water temperature during the pregnancy. What coradee has already stated it's not scientifically proven. But observation made the conclusion that water temperature "can" be of influence on the gender of new offspring. A lot of professional and serious hobby breeders make use of this technique. I've deliberately use the word "can' between brackets for it's not a 100% guarantuee. But most of the time, it does work.
But it can also be a genetically thing that more males or females are reproduced. But if you're lucky, you do get sufficient offspring of both genders. But again, your situation is quite normal.

HupGupp

I usually get about 20% male in my tanks. But recently I cleared out a tank and rounded up all the fry I could in the other two, probably from 4 or so different batches. Much to my surprise almost all of them grew up to be male. Definitely something happened there, if only I could figure out what. It was formerly a male only tank while my other tanks are majority female but I don't really know if that makes any sense - maybe the presence of all that fishy testosterone :D.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• AGuppylover
  • Guppy
Replies
Views
emeraldking
Replies
Views
Valliry7
  • CanadianFishFan
  • Guppy
Replies