1 Male Betta With Female Bettas?

1. Rick bose

Rick bose Member Member

Can 1 male betta be kept in the same tank with 2-3 female bettas. I am planning a planted tank with full of live plants like dwarf lilly and amazon sword. There I would like to add a male betta with 2-3 female bettas. Can I do that? If yes, then is there was a proper order to introduce the fishes? Like should I add the femlae bettas first or the male betta or both at the same time? Tank size is not an issue, I have not bought the tank yet. If it is possible then I would buy the tank of appropriate volume.
    Also if I can add the male betta with the female bettas, then how many female betta should i keep? 2 or 3? The less the better. If it is possible to house 1 male with 2 females then I would prefer that. If not, then I would consider 3 females. Anything more than 3 females will discourage me to have the tank completely.

2. Inno

Inno Member Member

I'm pretty sure he would attack them. But maybe you could with a large enough tank. I have a male in a 75gal tank with other fish, but no other betta's.

3. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFan Well Known Member Member

i only ever suggest trying these male to female pairs in huge tanks. 50gallons below i wouldnt try this. Now if you had wild bettas you could do this!

4. OP
    OP
    Rick bose

Rick bose Member Member

So I can't do this in a 15g tank as I was planning to? I was planning to keep 1 male betta with 2 female bettas in a 15g tank or 1 male betta with 3 females in a 20g tank? Would not any of these be possible to keep?

5. CanadianFishFan

Nope, personally i would not even do a female sorority in there.. You need a 20gallon long for a female betta sorority and then i suggest much more research. You can make a community tank with other fish and ONE betta.

6. OP
    OP
    Rick bose

Rick bose Member Member

So in a female betta sorority tank how many female bettas can I keep in a 20g tank?

Also tell me can I keep guppies with 2 female bettas in a 20g tank? I know that guppies are a big no no with male bettas but can they be housed with female bettas? Will the female bettas attack or harass or kill the guppies or eat the tails of the guppies? If they can be kept together then how many guppies should I keep with 2 female bettas in a 20g tank?

7. CanadianFishFan

I suggest 20gallon longs and about 7 females work, i havent started mine even though its been 5 months of research.
    NO! 2 female bettas will kill eachother, they can be aggressive as males. Use female guppys then because they have no flashy colors and short fins. Im not good at stocking so dont know how many guppys and bettas. BUT! I feel you are not ready for a sorority if you are asking that question. So please wait and do more research.

8. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

i see alot of people trying mini sororities in a 10 or 15 with 3 females and very few are successful. And yes to have a male with females you should be in the 50+ gallon range. A 20 long with 5-7 seems to were the curve starts to be successful. But of course bigger is always better.

9. CanadianFishFan

Well for a beginner id never try a sorority is small tanks.