1 gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by blubudgie, Jul 28, 2015.

1. b

blubudgie New Member Member

Hey guys my friend just gave me a small tank I think it's around 1 gallon or less. Obviously I can't keep any fish in here but I was wondering what I can keep without a filter or heating.
    I was thinking of just having a freshwater plant tank plus maybe one snail. I'm scared of the snail multiplying though.

This tank is super small are there any tiny filters I could buy to give it at least some filtration or will the plants be enough?

2. Jswin

Jswin Well Known Member Member

An air stone is about all you could get in there

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

Hello :;hi2,
    You could probably find a small sponge filter in there. You could do snails, Nerite snails cant hatch eggs in freshwater and they are really pretty, if you just add one snail (any kind) then there isn't a big chance of them taking over. You could also do shrimp in that tank if your interested in them.

Tiny Goatfish

4. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

You'll need filtration and a heater. I tried growing plants in a 2 gallon fish bowl, but they just grew algae on them and nothing has happened. Most plants that you buy at the pet stores require at least 72 degree water just like most creatures.

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

A heater may not be necessary, depending on the room temp. There are filters for 1 - 1 1/2 gal tanks, but I've noticed them only in tank kits. They're probably sold by themselves too, you may just have to dig around a little.

Don't forget about lighting! Light is super important with planted tanks.

6. vivelafish

vivelafish Valued Member Member

Well, you wanted to invest in a sponge filter and heater (which it sounds like you don't, but if you change your mind) you could house some shrimp.

7. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi blubudgie welcometo FishLore!

How about a Marimo Ball <--link must be viewed through a browser.

You could use pretty colored glass marbles on the bottom. An air stone isn't needed but would be cool to watch Mr Marimo bounce about.

We have several in vases around the house,

8. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

9. N

New Fish in Town Well Known Member Member

Interesting idea

10. OP
    OP
    b

blubudgie New Member Member

This is a cool idea. The tank came with a ground bubbler thing that I was just going to toss out, but maybe I'll do this LOL.

There is a lid with light in it, but i don't know what kind. maybe I can find a bulb small enough to replace it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice