1 Gallon Tank

Brett S.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have a old 1 gallon tank that has been sitting unused for a few years now. What should I do with it? Probably no fish but I'm fine with a couple shrimp. I would also need a filter, heater, light, etc. I could get some plants from my other tank

TheGouramiGuy

Reaction score
I think if you did some small plants and maybe a nanofish, that setup might work. Nanofish such as neon tetras do like to school, but in a 1 gallon you might have to settle for some shrimp and possibly one fish. This is a bit of a stretch for fish, especially since they love room to dart around but you never know. This topic is definitely up for debate though, but I would recommend a 5 or 10 gallon if you wanted to keep it small.

OP
Brett S.

Brett S.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
TheGouramiGuy said:
I think if you did some small plants and maybe a nanofish, that setup might work. Nanofish such as neon tetras do like to school, but in a 1 gallon you might have to settle for some shrimp and possibly one fish. This is a bit of a stretch for fish, especially since they love room to dart around but you never know. This topic is definitely up for debate though, but I would recommend a 5 or 10 gallon if you wanted to keep it small.
Well the point is I have a tank, I just don't know what to do with it.

TheGouramiGuy

Reaction score
Yeah, would recommend snails and shrimp, I love the different colors of shrimp you can go with, such as the cherries, but they can get expensive depending on where you get them. Some of the colored shrimp can go for $3 - $6 a piece. From what I've seen, go with hard-shell snails. The soft-shells love to multiply and take over depending on which type you get, so just do your research and you'll do great.

OP
Brett S.

Brett S.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JamieXPXP said:
I think it would be cool to have a ramshorn snails and/or shrimp in there with a few plants
My other tank has some ludwigia, S. Repens and java moss. I can take some from that and really fill it up with plants

TheGouramiGuy

Reaction score
Brett S. said:
My other tank has some ludwigia, S. Repens and java moss. I can take some from that and really fill it up with plants
That would be nice, the more plants the merrier since they feed on the phosphates, it'll make your 1 gallon a lot easier to maintain imo.

NickAu

Well Known
Reaction score
1 gallon is too small for shrimp because a tank that small is hard to keep stable and shrimp need stability.

You could have a African dwarf frog in a 1 gallon tank
Absolutely not. ADF should be kept in groups of 3 or more.

In my opinion a 1 gallon tank is too small for any fish including a betta.

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Brett S. said:
that's a great idea! I think it would be great to just have a plant only sort of thing

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
NickAu said:
1 gallon is too small for shrimp because a tank that small is hard to keep stable and shrimp need stability.

Absolutely not.

In my opinion a 1 gallon tank is too small for any fish including a betta.
I agree, but it is definitely possible to do one gallon shrimp tanks, many here have heard of and done the beverage dispenser tanks.

Gourami36

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
NickAu said:
Best Qtank in the world and only a few dollars.

clear-rubbermaid-storage-bins-1823610-64_1000.jpg
I use one of those too but there’s not many things you can do with a 1 gallon tank other than a few inverts or plants. And he already has the tank and no use for it yet

jjohnwm

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you must sentence an animal to exist in a 1-gallon torture chamber, why not just make it a planted "aquarium" with a snail or two?

Fish? Shrimp? Sure it's possible...just as it's possible for a human being to exist for years in a tiny prison cell. But...desirable? Come on...

OP
Brett S.

Brett S.

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jjohnwm said:
If you must sentence an animal to exist in a 1-gallon torture chamber, why not just make it a planted "aquarium" with a snail or two?

Fish? Shrimp? Sure it's possible...just as it's possible for a human being to exist for years in a tiny prison cell. But...desirable? Come on...
Yeah I might not even do anything with it.

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
1 gallon I would do plants only. Realistically too small for shrimp, though if you are familiar with tank management it can be done. Slightly harder to keep stable. Would recommend doing only a few shrimp, ideally of the same sex if you go that route.
I have a number of plant only containers, and really enjoy them...

New Threads