1 Gallon Shrimp Tank

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m setting up a community tank right now and so far I have ADFs, ghost shrimp, and one amano shrimp in a 10 gallon.

I tried to get small frogs, and after reading about amano shrimp I expected them to be around an inch, but they must have just gotten a new batch because I got the biggest one and she’s smaller than a half an inch even now. The ghost shrimp are huge compared to her.

I’m worried cause she’s the smallest in there, so I’m going to set up a 1 gallon just so she can grow a little more in peace.

I was wondering with amano shrimp having such a small bioload how often to change the water in the tank?

I might even go back and get another one, I’m planning on feeding them shrimp pellets and I heard you could crush them up but that it might create a feeding frenzy. It seems like that would work best since they might fight over pellets.

Any advice for something so small for such small shrimp?

maggie thecat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I run a glass canister water garden. It's probably 2.5 gallons. I use a sponge filter and lots of plants, moss balls, etc. There are cherry shrimp in it. I change / top up the water usually once a week, because of evaporation. I feed the barest smidge of a pinch of food on the same schedule. Biofilm and algae take care of themselves.

It's very doable. A couple of amano shrimp would do fine in a similar setup.

oodelally

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks! I’m not sure if where I can put them will get enough light for plants long term, but she seems to be growing pretty quickly so it shouldn’t be a problem.

I’ve been hearing a bunch about having a sponge filter for shrimp, I’m going to have to look that up.

Now I want to do go all out with some cherry shrimp at some point! How many do you have in there?

And I just saw that I didn’t reply in my last thread. I could have swarn I made two more comments but they aren’t there. So thanks for your help there too!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom