+1 for snail jello

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by Bijou88, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Well, snail jello was a hit. :) EVERYONE loved it which surprised me, even the cories!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

2. KarenLM

KarenLM Well Known Member Member

What did it contain?

3. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

I made two batches with different flavors....

1. 1 container Gerber organic baby food (butternut squash), 2 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin, ~1 tbs NOW brand powdered calcium carbonate, about 1/2 tsp omega one fish flakes.

2. The same as #1 except it was green bean baby food and I added ~1 tbs organic spirulina powder.

They seemed to prefer batch #2, I'll have to mix and match a bit to see if it was the green beans or the spirulina that they preferred. :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  4. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Snail jello? Never heard about this kind of thing before :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'm going to have to try it!

6. KarenLM

7. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

The platies definitely got some, I figure it's mostly veggies anyway so it would probably be good for them too. The snails got most of it, the cories were trying to body bump the snails out if the way though, lol. My pleco got very excited by the spirulina one too :)

To add, I didn't mix any water with it because I wanted it to be firmer and not break down quickly, it worked out great. It's about the consistency of a rubber bouncy ball, you can slice pieces off of it which is handy to spread it around. I used an ice cube tray with the silicone bottoms to set it.

8. Dom90

Where do buy the spirulina?

9. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

That's because you don't have snails! :p

10. Dom90

Haha I'm not allowed, the wife is grossed out by them. Wouldn't even touch the hitch hikers that came with the plants I bought.

11. KarenLM

I would like to try it for my cories, maybe add crushed shrimp pellets in for them. Did the cories seem to go for recipe 1 or 2?

12. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Jell-O shots for fish!

13. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

I got them both from Green Acres (health food type store).

The cories seemed to like both equally, i may have to do a batch with shrimp pellets too... you could leave the fish food out also, if you wanted to make it vegetarian etc.

Attached Files:

14. Dom90

So would they sell it at Whole Foods? Would it be safe to just pour a bunch of that powder into the tank and assume the fish will eat it?

15. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

They should sell it at whole foods. I personally wouldn't just dump it in, both are suuuuuper fine powder, it would more than likely just cloud your tank and end up in your filter :/

If you're wanting to use just the spirulina, make that into jello. Just mix it with some (hot) dechlorinated water and unflavored gelatin, you don't HAVE to add all the other stuff. :) KarenLM

I forgot to say, you need to heat the baby food before adding the gelatin so it will dissolve, then add all the other goodies.

16. KarenLM

Thanks. I made a note of that.

17. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

I am going to try this. It looks like a feeding frenzy. I love the 2nd picture with the little magenta behind the pleco's fin scurry over to get some before it is all gone. Thanks for the answers to where to buy it and how to make it. Alison

18. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

No problem! :) I was really pleased with how much everyone seemed to enjoy it. It looked like a snail stampede with all the babies in there too, lol, I highly recommend it!

19. OP
    OP
    Bijou88

Just finished making a couple more batches with slightly different goodies and realized I'd forgotten to mention a couple things....

When you mix the gelatin in to the baby food it will clump like crazy, just use the back of a spoon to smash the clumps, they'll dissolve eventually.

Don't use a blender or whisk to mix everything up, it will just cause bubbles to form which will make the jello float (not what you want).

That's it I think. :)
    aliray KarenLM

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice