+1 for snail jello

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I made two batches with different flavors....

1. 1 container Gerber organic baby food (butternut squash), 2 envelopes Knox unflavored gelatin, ~1 tbs NOW brand powdered calcium carbonate, about 1/2 tsp omega one fish flakes.

2. The same as #1 except it was green bean baby food and I added ~1 tbs organic spirulina powder.

They seemed to prefer batch #2, I'll have to mix and match a bit to see if it was the green beans or the spirulina that they preferred.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Snail jello? Never heard about this kind of thing before

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The platies definitely got some, I figure it's mostly veggies anyway so it would probably be good for them too. The snails got most of it, the cories were trying to body bump the snails out if the way though, lol. My pleco got very excited by the spirulina one too

To add, I didn't mix any water with it because I wanted it to be firmer and not break down quickly, it worked out great. It's about the consistency of a rubber bouncy ball, you can slice pieces off of it which is handy to spread it around. I used an ice cube tray with the silicone bottoms to set it.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Where do buy the spirulina?

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dom90 said:
Snail jello? Never heard about this kind of thing before
That's because you don't have snails!

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bijou88 said:
That's because you don't have snails!
Haha I'm not allowed, the wife is grossed out by them. Wouldn't even touch the hitch hikers that came with the plants I bought.

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I got them both from Green Acres (health food type store).

The cories seemed to like both equally, I may have to do a batch with shrimp pellets too... you could leave the fish food out also, if you wanted to make it vegetarian etc.

Attachments

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So would they sell it at Whole Foods? Would it be safe to just pour a bunch of that powder into the tank and assume the fish will eat it?

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They should sell it at whole foods. I personally wouldn't just dump it in, both are suuuuuper fine powder, it would more than likely just cloud your tank and end up in your filter :/

If you're wanting to use just the spirulina, make that into jello. Just mix it with some (hot) dechlorinated water and unflavored gelatin, you don't HAVE to add all the other stuff. KarenLM

I forgot to say, you need to heat the baby food before adding the gelatin so it will dissolve, then add all the other goodies.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am going to try this. It looks like a feeding frenzy. I love the 2nd picture with the little magenta behind the pleco's fin scurry over to get some before it is all gone. Thanks for the answers to where to buy it and how to make it. Alison

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
No problem! I was really pleased with how much everyone seemed to enjoy it. It looked like a snail stampede with all the babies in there too, lol, I highly recommend it!

OP
Bijou88

Bijou88

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Just finished making a couple more batches with slightly different goodies and realized I'd forgotten to mention a couple things....

When you mix the gelatin in to the baby food it will clump like crazy, just use the back of a spoon to smash the clumps, they'll dissolve eventually.

Don't use a blender or whisk to mix everything up, it will just cause bubbles to form which will make the jello float (not what you want).

That's it I think.
aliray KarenLM

New Threads