1 Fish For A 10 Gallon

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Courtney Moreau, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

I have a 10 gallon tank in my living room and currently have 1 platy. I wanted to either get just one fish for the tank or something to go with the platy. I want something that will be fun to watch swim around and will not be hard to take care of besides the regular water changes and such. I do have a Ph of around 7.5 and my temperature is 78°. Any and all suggestions would be great!

2. tetratetrisValued MemberMember

Hmmm...

I'm not the smartest although I once had a Dwarf Gourami and I loved him. Maybe Not very active but eh.
    I know you said 1 fish but right now I'm sitting next to my 10g with 8 neon tetras in it and they can be fun to watch and are really easy to care for. A 1-3 roup of guppies?
    Anyways a Gourami could be could although I really do not know of that many fish, leave it to the smart people. :)

3. JunneFishlore LegendMember

Is this a male platy? If so, you could add a few more. I would stay away from the females unless you have other means for them when they start producing fry ( can be 20 + each batch )

4. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Hello fellow Mainer!

A platy will do well with a few other platys, or you could add some swordtails, guppies, tetras, danios, endlers or rasboras. The issue you'll have is the 10 gallon tank isnt huge, so you cant add too many more fish.

5. CarpfisherNew MemberMember

Im looking at getting some zebra danios for my platy tank maybe look at them

6. FriarThomasIIIWell Known MemberMember

If you ever decided to rehome the platy, a single paradise fish gets up to 4 inches, though isn't very active and hangs out a lot. Maybe a female could live with a platy or two? Don't quote me on it though.

danios are super active, and I'm not sure they would be suitable for a 10

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2018
  7. CarpfisherNew MemberMember

Oh right i have a 14 gallon would about 4 danios be ok in that

8. VaralidaineValued MemberMember

If you need advice on stocking your 14 gallon, it would be best to start your thread and have people chime in there as you don't want to distract from the original posters questions. In short though, Danios are very active and the smallest recommended tank would be a 20 gallon long. You don't want to keep only 4 as they are a schooling fish and most schooling fish need a minimum of 6 but are better with 10+

To the original poster; is there a reason you want only one fish? If you like the Platy and it's a male, you can keep a few more males with him, maybe 2 more for a total of three? Or as others have said, male guppies could be added as well.

9. CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Let’s not get sidetracked & remember this is Courtney’s thread, if you have questions about your own tank please start a new thread.

10. Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

I have tried multiple platys but for some reason they keep dieing and I just want to try something new. The platy is a girl

I honestly don't mind at All! I find it interesting because I am looking to possibly upgrade, I didn't know 14 gallons were available?

If I could put a schooling fish with the platy that would be great but I do know my tank is small. Unfortunately I bought it as a newbie without doing research and am saving up now for a 30 gallon. Otherwise i just want like one or a few like feature fish

11. Five 97Well Known MemberMember

Danios and neons are too active for a 10g. I think you could do a single German blue ram in a 10g.

12. Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

Rasbora sound interesting. Hello mainer very few of us it seems! I would be interested in hearing your opinion on something that I have recently struggled with, the legality of keeping snails-so stupid!

My only struggle with that is my only fish store near me is petco and the idea of shipping fish stress me out

13. GalathielWell Known MemberMember

I have a few male endlers in my 10 gallon and they do stay with each other and are pretty much top dwellers. They're entertaining, colorful little fish. Mine were actually feeder progeny so I don't know if that has any affect on their personality, but they don't squabble with each other at all. They live with a DG and act well as dither fish for him. He used to be very shy and now he's out and about with them (not promoting a DG for a 10 gallon, but now that I have him, I'm keeping him).

14. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Any time you want to chat shoot me a message. LOTS of legalities here in Maine. Where abouts are you? Im right outside of Augusta, so we only have Petco and PetSmart, but there are some nice shops in the state if youre willing to travel a little (depending on where you are it could be a lot).

15. McasellaFishlore VIPMember

Petco doesn't really have much, they do not carry the normal german blue ram but the electric blue variant of it (they don't live that long in my opinion). However a couple more female platy would likely be the best thing.

16. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Luckily our local Petco here in Augusta, Maine DOES carry GBR's. The PetSmart too.

17. sloughdogWell Known MemberMember

A lot of Petcos will order fish of your choosing for you. They often have a list of fish available for order beyond what is stocked in the store.

18. Courtney MoreauValued MemberMember

In the lewiston/auburn area, brand new to all of this fish keeping! Debating seeing how hard it would be to get a license so I can have snails. Or just moving eventually, jk, but I really want a snail!

19. DuaneVWell Known MemberMember

Don't bother with them. You wont get licensed without showing some sort of "Need" for them, i.e., rescue & teaching, etc. Snails are the bane of my existence. Being a serious fisherman and conservationist, they have no place here. We have some ponds that are so overrun with them its unbelievable. Maine actually has a long list of banned species ranging from snails to shrimp to fish to plants. Too many people have just thrown them in the local waters when they didnt want them anymore and its REALLY messed things up here.

Drive down to Gorham. Take Rt. 202 down to Easy Aquariums. That place is AWESOME and they have more than you could ever imagine. Its probably about a 45 minute drive from you.

20. VaralidaineValued MemberMember

If you want some other sort of fish, I agree with what others have said that a few males guppies could be a solution. You could do 2 or 3 and have that little group until you upgrade. Some Petco's will carry German Blue Rams and depending on their Aquatics person, may be willing to order them in if you ask. If you do the ram, that would really be it for that little tank. Either the platy and ram or the platy and guppies. I, personally, enjoy the colors and frills of guppies, so they're my choice but it's all personal preference!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice