1 Female Betta With 4 Male Guppies???possible????

Rick bose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Can I successfully keep 1 female Betta in a 10g tank with 4 male guppies?I am planning the tank to be heavily planted one full of live plants like dwarf lillies and amazon swords. That way, this amount of stocking won't be an issue because of the live plants, also the fishes can hide if they need to be, plus it will reduce the nitrate and ammonia levels also. All of my tanks have heavily planted. I have 3 other tanks also but never worked with a female betta.
I know that males can't be kept with guppies, but I also know that females are much less aggressive than males. So is it possible to keep male guppies along with a female betta?

Any help would be awesome. I have searched but can't find a straight answer online.

Tsin21

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Based on experience (I had a male betta in the same tank with guppies before), I wouldn't do it again. Male guppies are very persistent and will try to mate and annoy the betta. Plus they nip.

Either way, you might end up with dead guppies or fin-nipped betta.

Discus-Tang

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Tsin21 said:
Based on experience (I had a male betta in the same tank with guppies before), I wouldn't do it again. Male guppies are very persistent and will try to mate and annoy the betta. Plus they nip.

Either way, you might end up with dead guppies or fin-nipped betta.
I'd have to agree, those guppies are really... into it. If you know what I mean. but if the betta could defend itself without killing the guppies (not really possible) then maybe the guppies would back off.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom