1 Diy Canister Vs 2 Sunsun. Thoughts??

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was originally planning to use 2 SunSun 304 B canisters on my 125 gallon build. The are "rated" at 525 gph but that obviously decreases with media added. However i can build a canister for around 100 dollars and that includes a jecod 6000 which filters 1585gph. Which would be a smarter/better option???

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am having the same "issues". Buying a filter or making one. I guess if you make one, you risk it leaking and possibly making a HUGE mess. I personally am leaning toward a factory made filter instead of a diy one. Only problem is the cost of shipping (I'm in Canada) or driving across the border and picking it up in the states an hour away.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I think i have the not leaking part figured out. I watched a video on youtube by DIY fishkeeper (he has many awesome videos) and he shows you the parts to use that keep it from not leaking. My main concern is, does a DIY filter work as well as a store bought filter.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you break down a canister filter (not literally!!!) it's a pump forcing water through various media. In theory it's the exact same thing, just without the fancy clips and container.

Chaory

Valued Member
Reaction score
For canisters or filters, the more surface room the better. If say gph are about the same. The thing about diy filters I would be concern about noise level, bypass, and looks of it. But if you are okay with it and is pretty handy, then go ahead and try it out.

2211Nighthawk

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Chaory said:
For canisters or filters, the more surface room the better. If say gph are about the same. The thing about diy filters I would be concern about noise level, bypass, and looks of it. But if you are okay with it and is pretty handy, then go ahead and try it out.
So getting a 2 foot 8" tube vs a 4' 4" tube in other words. (For example.)

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Chaory said:
Its would be under my stand i am buidling so looks is no concern, but noise is definately a conern i didnt think about. I will have to look into how noisy that pump is.
bkaiser3 said:
I think i have the not leaking part figured out. I watched a video on youtube by DIY fishkeeper (he has many awesome videos) and he shows you the parts to use that keep it from not leaking. My main concern is, does a DIY filter work as well as a store bought filter.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Over the years I have designed and built many filters, too big of a pump and a heat or noise problem, if the power goes out will it back siphon, do I use unions to disconnect it and on and on. Not to mention the time it takes to build it! Unless you think it would be fun to build a filer, buy the canisters. If 2 isn't enough, buy 3.

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i looked up the pump and it has mixed reviews due to noise. I think 2 of the sun suns would be enough. Would i be able to take the 2 filters and have an intake on each side of the tank but run the 2 returns into a gang valve and have them run the return water together and just have one return in the center of the tank?

bkaiser3

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Okay. Is there a specific reason as to why? I trust your opinion i was just wondering if there is a reason as to why i should.

fissh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you have two pumps working on the same line they sometimes will work against each other causing them to be less affective. If one shuts off the other can pressurize the dead canister and may cause a leak. Also the jury rig hook up to combine both tubes could cause a leak.

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
bkaiser3 said:
My main concern is, does a DIY filter work as well as a store bought filter.
A lot of times better, because you can make it EXACTLY how you want it. It might not look like a really cool spaceship but instead more of a bucket, but who cares if it works great, is way cheaper and you made it yourself.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom