1 Cory

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have 1 panda cory. I did have three but only have 1 left after 2 of them died. I read that they need to be kept in groups, but this one cory I have left seems to do better by himself than when he was with the other two.

Around me corys are quite expensive, and I don't want to buy more of them at the price they are. Will my 1 cory be OK by itself?

Thanks

Gwenz

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, they are probably imported to your area Gwenz. You can keep them by themselves, they don't HAVE to be with others. However there might be a less expensive type of similar size to the one you have that you could put together. I know that while they prefer their own sub-species they will accept the company of other colorations and types.

Anyway, I wouldn't bother with that for a little bit, you might want to see how well this one does. What happened to the others, anyway? Corys are fairly hardy until they actually get ill, then they often just simply die, unfortunately.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks Poefox. I was thinking about just keeping the one I already have. He is called Mo and is doing brilliantly. I've just come back from holiday, and before I went, I was worried about him because he wasn't eating, but now he won't stop eating When he finishes his food he's always looking for more,    but he's not going to get any - I don't want to overfeed him.  :-\
I might buy some more corries in future. You never know though.  At the moment I don't have room for any .

poefox said:
What happened to the others, anyway? Corys are fairly hardy until they actually get ill, then they often just simply die, unfortunately.
Yes, when I bought them the girl at my lfs said they were hardy, and that she has kept many at home and had them for years.

I'd had the corries 1 1/2 weeks. I think the first cory (Curly) died because all his fins were nipped - I think he was being bullied by the other two, he was much smaller than them. I should have moved him to a different tank, but they were already in the Q tank so there was nothing much I could do. I started treating him, but unfortunately he died. 

I never found out how the second cory (Larry) died.  :-\ I'd had them 4 weeks at the time. One night before I went to bed, I noticed he was floating upside down on the surface. He was still alive, but couldn't seem to turn himself so swim the right way. It just happened suddenly. The next morning I woke to find him dead. :'(

The one I have left (Mo) is quite healthy and swimmms everywhere in the tank. He makes me laugh!  ;D

Gwenz

poefox

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they are fun little beasts, comical by nature it seems. When I was a kid I had some corys for nearly four years, and I'm not sure what they died of. Then much much later when I had my second betta I got a couple and when a fungal infection hit my tank they just keeled over. It seems like you can rarely do much to help them.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, It's realy sad that we can't realy do much to help them. They are hardy fish, but when they are ill there just isn't anything you can do. :'(

Gwenz

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom