1 betta has greenish tummy+spot on chin, other (new) betta keeps glass surfing

crowningSapphire

I have two questions, one for each fish, so I'm consolidating into the same thread to avoid cluttering up the forum. Hope that's okay!

question #1 TL;DR: I noticed yesterday that one of my bettas has a light spot under his chin, and upon further examination I realized his whole tummy has a greenish sheen. Not sure if it's just his coloring or if he's sick or has velvet or something. Might just be paranoid. (Pictures attached.)

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 5 gallons
How long has the tank been running? Since March 2021
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) One male betta

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1/week
How much of the water do you change? ~50%
What do you use to treat your water? Stresscoat or Prime, and half a cap of Stressguard (stopped him from tail biting). I also add plant fertilizer, Epsom salt (for plants), and half an indian almond leaf occasionally.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Remove all decorations and vacuum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2/day, 6 days a week
How much do you feed your fish? 4-7 pellets at each feeding
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one betta pellets
Do you feed frozen? Yes, frozen bloodworms or brine shrimp 1-2 times a week
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? He gets freeze dried daphnia maybe once a week as a snack

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Since April 2021
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Yesterday night
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Light greenish spot under his chin, and greenish sheen to his tummy and pectoral fins
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Nope
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? No, aside from aforementioned greenish sheen. He's not rubbing himself on anything, no clamped fins, swimming around exploring like normal, gets very excited to see me, will devour anything I put in the tank.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Not really an emergency but yesterday I noticed what looked like a white spot underneath my betta's chin. I shined a flashlight on him to get a better look, and realized that it's not white, but a shiny sort of green, and his tummy and base of his pectoral fins were also green. I'm very very paranoid because this fish is the love of my life, my crown jewel, and I'm not sure if he has velvet or another disease, or if that's just his coloring. I attached pictures of his spot and one that shows the green sheen on his belly, as well as a picture from when I first got him (his underside seems discolored then too?) Even if it is his coloring, the light spot is definitely new.

question #2 TL;DR: Got a new betta on Sunday and he's still glass surfing.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 10 gallons
How long has the tank been running? Since June 2021
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What is the water temperature? 78 degrees
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) One male betta and three male guppies. (My betta is very peaceful and doesn’t chase or bother the guppies at all.)

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? 1/week
How much of the water do you change? ~50%
What do you use to treat your water? Stresscoat or Prime, and one capful of Stressguard every water change. Occasionally add plant fertilizer, Epsom salt (for the plants), and half an Indian almond leaf.
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Remove all decorations and vacuum substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? No (emergency tank situation) but it’s cycled since then. The guppies were in during the mini cycle, the betta was added long after.
What do you use to test the water? API Freshwater Master Test Kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH: 7.4

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? 2/day, 6 days a week
How much do you feed your fish? Betta gets 4-7 pellets twice a day, guppies get a few small pinches of pellets or flakes, and occasionally half an algae wafer.
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Omega one betta pellets for the betta, Hikari fancy guppy pellets or Aqueon tropical flakes for the guppies.
Do you feed frozen? Yes, frozen bloodworms for the betta and frozen brine shrimp for the guppies 1-2 times a week
Do you feed freeze-dried foods? Yes, freeze dried daphnia if the guppies look constipated.

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? Since June 2021 for the guppies, since last Sunday for the betta
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Since Monday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Glass surfs all day
Have you started any treatment for the illness? No
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? He acted fine the day I got him, explored the whole tank, but now he only swims along the back and side walls of the tank.

Explain your emergency situation in detail.
(Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
Got a new betta on Sunday and added him to my guppy tank to stop them from fighting with each other. (I know it was risky, but the betta is very mellow and they seem to get along great. No aggression, even during food time. The guppies will steal his pellets and he just lets it happen.) When I first put him in, he explored the whole tank, but the day after (and ever since), all he seems to do is swim along the back and right side wall. It's very leisurely swimming, not frantic at all, but I'm paranoid something's wrong.
Is it possible that he considers the back of the tank "his territory" and that's why he's patrolling it? (Guppies normally stay in the front of the tank.) I don't think he can see his reflection because I put up cardboard to block the outside on those walls and he's still pacing.
There's a lot of plants and decorations in the tank so he has plenty of things to swim around (full tank shot in last picture attached) so I don't think it's out of boredom?

Thanks for bearing with me, I'm new to fishkeeping and really want to take good care of these guys.

Attachments

• white spot 1.JPG
    white spot 1.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 22
  • green tummy_LI.jpg
    green tummy_LI.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 20
  • first day.jpg
    first day.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 22
  • full tank shot.jpg
    full tank shot.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 22

BigManAquatics

Not sure on the green sheen, could be a color change, definitely NOT velvet.

As for the glass surfing, pretty common for bettas in a new tank. Should go away on it's own.

bcsay720

I agree. If the second betta does not stop glass surfing within the next few days, then it's likely stressed by the guppies and would need to be separated. I tried to keep my betta as a community fish. He would usually be calm and only get grumpy if one of the tetras went in his territory. But "calm" does not always mean "happy."

crowningSapphire

Not sure on the green sheen, could be a color change, definitely NOT velvet.

As for the glass surfing, pretty common for bettas in a new tank. Should go away on it's own.
Thank god, I was terrified of it being velvet. I keep my tanks very clean and I couldn't figure out how he would've gotten parasites.

Hopefully the glass surfing does, I thought it was weird that it lasted more than a few days but maybe I'm just being impatient. Thank you!!
I agree. If the second betta does not stop glass surfing within the next few days, then it's likely stressed by the guppies and would need to be separated. I tried to keep my betta as a community fish. He would usually be calm and only get grumpy if one of the tetras went in his territory. But "calm" does not always mean "happy."
That's unfortunate, I hope that isn't it. :( Half of my guppies died to camallanus worms (which are long gone by now) and I felt bad about them being in such a small group, but I also didn't really want to get more since I'm still traumatized over the others dying.
I didn't want to give them back to my LFS either because I'm attached to these little guys. I'll be very sad if I end up having to rehome them anyway.

Weird that he's so much bigger than them and could be stressed out by them, I really thought it would be the other way around if anything.

bcsay720

Thank god, I was terrified of it being velvet. I keep my tanks very clean and I couldn't figure out how he would've gotten parasites.

Hopefully the glass surfing does, I thought it was weird that it lasted more than a few days but maybe I'm just being impatient. Thank you!!

That's unfortunate, I hope that isn't it. :( Half of my guppies died to camallanus worms (which are long gone by now) and I felt bad about them being in such a small group, but I also didn't really want to get more since I'm still traumatized over the others dying.
I didn't want to give them back to my LFS either because I'm attached to these little guys. I'll be very sad if I end up having to rehome them anyway.

Weird that he's so much bigger than them and could be stressed out by them, I really thought it would be the other way around if anything.
I dealt with camallanus worms a few weeks back. Ended up having to get my male honey gourami a new mate because of it... I'm sorry you went through that. Just keep an eye out. Handling fish stress in the appropriate way has made me a better fish keeper. Now, I just got more tanks instead of rehoming, but it all depends on space and finances (which, surprising, I don't have much of, but always seem to have enough for my fish...). Keep us posted on if the glass surfing goes away.

crowningSapphire

I dealt with camallanus worms a few weeks back. Ended up having to get my male honey gourami a new mate because of it... I'm sorry you went through that. Just keep an eye out. Handling fish stress in the appropriate way has made me a better fish keeper. Now, I just got more tanks instead of rehoming, but it all depends on space and finances (which, surprising, I don't have much of, but always seem to have enough for my fish...). Keep us posted on if the glass surfing goes away.
Oh no, I'm so sorry :( Those things are an absolute nightmare to deal with. I almost gave up on fishkeeping, my only solace was that my original betta never got infected. Here's to hoping we're both out of the woods on that front.

betta06

also the barrel decor you have in there seems to rip some bettas fins. I have it too and some of my more curious bettas would get there fins torn on it.

I love your tank though:)

crowningSapphire

also the barrel decor you have in there seems to rip some bettas fins. I have it too and some of my more curious bettas would get there fins torn on it.

I love your tank though:)
Really? Shoot, I'll have to keep an eye on him. He is a crowntail so he doesn't have very much membrane on his fins, hopefully that will help prevent any injuries. He loves chilling in that barrel.
Thank you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LGlassie
Replies
Views
betta06
Replies
Views
LHAquatics
Replies