1 Axalotl In A 20 Gal. High?

Discussion in 'Amphibians' started by PheonixKingZ, Apr 23, 2019.

1. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Hi!! So I don’t remember her name, but someone on here, has 1 adult Axalotl, and 1 baby Axalotl, and I was wondering, are Axalotl’s easy to keep? Could I keep 1 Axalotl in a 20 gal. High? What subtrait could I use? If anyone out there has ANY experience with Axalotl’s please help me!! I think her name was @Bluenight something, but I don’t remember. Thanks in advance!!:)

Also, best brand in everything, I know it will take a while for me to save up enough to get all it, I want the best for a Axalotl, if I do end up getting one.

2. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

I think axolotls need a 20 long which is still bare minimum for an adult. They're also pretty messy so they need strong filtration.

3. AureusValued MemberMember

An adult axolotl will need a 20-long. As for substrate, fine-grain sand or bare-bottom will be just fine. They also need strong filtration due to how messy they can be.

4. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Ok, I looked it up, they said minimum was 10 gal!! Here is my source...... 

Is that correct? It sounds correct....

Ok, brand on a strong 20 gal. Filter? I would like a whole list, thank you!:)

Also, just in case anyone was wondering, I have done my research, and it is not illegal in K.Y. (Wich is where I live) to own a Axalotl!:)

5. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Axolotls reach up to about 10 inches and most 10g tanks are only 20 inches, so the axolotl would be about half the size of its entire tank.

6. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I wasn’t thinking about putting the guy in a 10 gal. I was think about putting him in and a 20 gal!! Do you know what website I could find a cheap/not so expensive 20 gal. Long tank? Because everyone here, is saying I need to have a 20 gal. Long, wich is fine!! They just are usually way more expensive!!:)

7. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

VERY WRONG! DO NOT TAKE THAT ADVICE!
    it is animal abuse to keep them in a tank that small. They will end up longer than the tank is wide and more than half the length. That is ridiculous and abuse, no way around that.
    Not to mention you'll have to spend $200-1000 on a chiller for these guys. Unlike temperates and tropicals, if the temp hits 73 or above, they will die.
    Their food is ridiculously expensive as well, you'll need a lot of frozen bloodworms and blackworms, and live earthworms and blackworms. Not cheap, not easy

8. AureusValued MemberMember

I've seen axolotls close to a foot long, so I'm going to say that a 10-gallon is much too small for an adult. For their tank, I would recommend getting a filter with a gph of a least 10 times the tank's volume (like a 200 gph for a 20-gallon tank).

9. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

20 longs are $20 at Petco during the dollar per gallon sale. I got one free at a garage sale.

10. RyanC14Valued MemberMember

Petco has a dollar per gallon sale, I'm sure you could also get a good deal for tanks on amazon or ebay.

11. Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

12. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Really? That’s so sad, I really wanted one of these little guys!!:(:(

13. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Once ya save up like $400 for a tank, chiller, filtration, and food for a few months, plus the axolotl, then you can get one. Most people don't have them because a) very expensive b) they don't move much c) lots of upkeep, generally more than fish due to their increased sensitivity to nitrogen compounds and because they produce A TON of waste because of their rich diet.
    And tbh, you should focus on getting your danio a proper tank before even considering getting something else

14. AlgonquinWell Known MemberMember

My daughter asked me recently if we could get an Axolotl. We have fish, shrimp & snails, so I said I'd look into it. I did a very small amount of research on what the requirements would be for an Axolotl. Basically, I got this:

A bare minimum 20 gallon Long tank, for one. 30-40 gallons would be much better. Double that if you want a pair.
    They are very sensitive to their environment - and won't tolerate fluctuating water parameters.
    They need very cool water - so in most people's homes, that means adding a chiller ($$).
    They can generally be the only tank inhabitants - no fish or inverts (unless they are really large, or they'll be dinner)
    They are mostly nocturnal, and the tank lights will need to be off most of the time - they're light sensitive.
    They prefer live foods.
    They are generally not very active.

(Hopefully, these points are fairly accurate. Any Axolotl keepers out there, please correct anything here that I haven't got right.)

My quick conclusion was that for the cost and worry of keeping this cute little thing alive, to watch it sit there in the dark, it didn't make sense for us. My daughter agreed. :) This project would be a Major commitment, more than we're willing to make.
    My advice would be to save your time and money, and watch cute Axolotl videos on Youtube ;)

15. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Ok, thanks @Rtessy!!

I have to go to a drum lesson, sorry if I don’t respond for a few hours!!:)

16. TheMadScientistValued MemberMember

Not only is a 20 long for 1 required . Strong filtration . A spray bar they don't like currents in the water . Needs to stay 74 is max figure 58 to 68 is ideal. Sponge filter. They can be loads of work i have to full size adults in my 55 their about 10 inches or so.
    I would never keep one in a 10 gal tank . even for cleanings i put them in my spare 55