55 Gallon Tank 1 Albino Angel & 1 Non-Albino Angel Can they produce a Albino fry

cakers13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, I have an Albino Angelfish(Male) and a Non-Albino Angel(Female) and they are a breeding pair. They have been trying for 7-8 months and could not make it happen the eggs would always disappear. Well finally they have got to the point where the fry are just about to be free swimmers(Fingers Crossed)about four-five days old. You can just start to see a mouth opening and closing. Very cool! It's like the discovery channel in your living room in true HD, but anyways I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for any of their offspring to be Albino Being that the male is Albino? Any info would be a big help, Thanks

platy ben

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Well what colour is the non albino?

As general guide, 25% will be 'albino' 25% will be the colour of non albino, and 50% should be a mixture, that is a VERY rough guide.

cakers13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ohh nice! Thanks for the reply buddy. The non-Albino is gold/white with just a few specks of black on her back tail. Before I was able to get a real Albino with red eyes this was the closest I could get. I call it a Faux-bino So is there a chance one of the fry could be a true Albino or do both parents have to be Albino? But what your saying is either way they should be mostly white? P.S. BOO Daley and GO Bisbing!!

mathas

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So is there a chance one of the fry could be a true Albino or do both parents have to be Albino?
Albinism is recessive, so both parents would have to carry the gene to have any "true" albino fry (i.e. solid white body, red iris and pupil). Your male obviously does, your female may or may not. It is possible you could end up with some of the fry being albino versions of whatever strain the female is.

For more info:

Albino is a recessive allele that does not affect the phenotype when in single dose. Double dose albinos (a/a) do not produce any dark pigments and therefore show a white to yellow body. When albino is added to a dark phenotype (e.g., D/D – a/a or D/g – a/a) the results is sometimes a "dirty" appearance. Normally dark markings are replaced by markings that are lighter than the baseline body color, this makes for attractive “negative” stripes on the silver albino. With most albinos, the eyes are red though, in color varieties that normally do not express a red iris there will only be red pupils. The albino allele can be added to any of the other genetic combinations to produce an albino form of that color variety.
http://www.theangelfishsociety.org/phenotype_library_2007/albino.html
Or: (click each picture to move through the slideshow)

Last edited:

cakers13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow! Very Cool slide show!! So it does not enhance my odds of one of the fry being a true Albino by just having one parent being an Albino. I have the same chance as if none of the parents were an Albino Right? They should be mostly if not all white though huh?

catsma_97504

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore cakers13.

Mathas is correct in that albinoism is recessive. Therefore, both parents would have to possess this recessive gene. The only way you'll end up with albino offspring is if the female also has the albino recessive gene as well as your male.

Congrats on the angel fry!

cakers13

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you, Okay I get that, Now how about the expected color? Like I said the other is white/gold with just a few specks of black. One more thing when should I start to feed the fry? Okay one more what is the common thing to do with all these fish? I know some wont make it, but I think anymore than 3-4 is still too many for me to keep. Any ideas?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Some ppl crush up fish flakes into a fine powder and feed the fry that, or you can buy Hikari First bites(Its the same thing as the crushed up flakes except more nutrients) and give it to the fry.

You could always trade them to a LFS for store credit.

PS. I don't know if you were trying to be funny or rude, but I don't think you should be acting like that. Take what you're given and be happy people actually helped.

Welcome to Fishlore ^^

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello Cakers,

I have deleted your post above as I found it rude and not necessary. Let's not forget our manners please. Seems to me that you have received more than enough answers to your question within the first 3 responses. No one can guarantee you what type of offspring your fish will produce.

Have patience! Members will respond if and when they have an answer. Rude posts and threads will not be tolerated.

Thank you!
Ken

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom