1.5 Gallon Stocking Options with Betta

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by wu718tang, Jul 7, 2015.

1. wu718tang

wu718tang Valued Member Member

I have this little Tetra 1.5 gallon tank that I used to keep a betta in years ago...I want to start it up again.

I'd like to put another fighting fish in there - but was wondering if I could get away with putting something else in there with it. I was thinking maybe a cory, as they are small and would stay at the bottom while the betta would spend most of its time up top - would also help out with some tank maintenance. I was thinking I could even position some flat rocks at the bottom of the tank to kind of make a "second level" for the cory, doubling his space to swim/explore.

Another option I was thinking of is putting a female betta in with the male.

Please offer some feedback on my ideas above. And also, if you can think of anything else I'd be able to put in with the betta, given the space, I'd appreciate it! Thanks

2. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

The tank is too small for a betta, let alone a betta with tank mates.

Corydoras are active swimmers and need to be in a school of six minimum. Putting males in with females are going to result in a bloodbath.

If you want to have a betta in good housing, go for 5 gallons minimum. If you really have to have tank mates with the betta, at least do a 20 long. I wouldn't recommend that at all though.. There could be way too many potential problems.

3. Plecomaker

Plecomaker Well Known Member Member

I recomend notkeeping fish in anything smaller then a 10

4. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

Like LiterallyHydro said, that tank is too small for even one betta, let alone a betta with a tankmate.

If you want something to inhabit that tank, you could put some shrimp and/or snails. Red cherry shrimp and a couple nerite snails would be nice.

Also, is your tank cycled? Please read up on the nitrogen cycle in aquariums before getting anything to inhabit your tank.

5. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Hi there! :)

Bettas should not be in a tank that size, imo. 3 gallons is the minimum for them.

The cories would need to be in a school of six or more, and wouldn't work in a tank that size, let alone with a betta.

Also, don't do a female and male betta as they will rip each other to pieces, especially in a tank that size.

Like LiterallyHydro said, if you want a betta in a community, you'll need at least a heavily planted 20g and a good bit of experience and luck and dedication.

For that size tank, I would do either shrimp or snails.

Good luck! :D

6. Plecomaker

Heck i have a bigger tank for my shrimp.

7. Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1 Well Known Member Member

Agree with @LitterallyHydro 1.5 is to small especially with tank mates which have a ton of risks and male and female bettas should only be put together for breeding. And the same Cory problem as @LitterallyHydro. I say the BARE MINIMUM for 1 betta is 2.5 gallons but 5 gallons is recommended.

8. Plecomaker

Ok, we cn stop piling on, lol!
    i think the point has been made.

9. OP
    OP
    wu718tang

wu718tang Valued Member Member

Thanks for the input, everyone. I figured the 1.5 would be fine for a betta, but I stand corrected. That's why I come on here for advice.

I'm going to get a 5 gallon tank. That being said, any possible tankmates of any kind?

10. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Could do a shrimp or snail in a tank that size, imo. Good job on upgrading, btw! :D

11. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

A snail at most, but be ready to remove the snail if the betta begins harassing the snail.

12. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    A scarlet badis would work, but they need live food, so I'd just get fish or shrimp.
    Red cherry shrimp.

13. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

With a betta??

14. Anders247

Lol, no, I thought it was established that bettas wouldn't work in this size tank.... the OP acknowledged it in fact. I meant by itself.

15. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

He's getting a 5g now and wanted to know what tankmates he could get for a betta in a 5g.

16. Plecomaker

I wouldnt add anything in less then a 10 with a betta

17. Anders247

Ah, oops, missed that while I was reading through the thread. Yeah, with bettas, only a snail or shrimp would work but they can even be aggressive to them. I had to separate my betta and snails because they betta was flaring at them.

18. xaipe

xaipe Valued Member Member

Cool resource that may be able to help you:  

You plug in the size of your tank and what kind/number of fish, and it tells you how stocked/overstocked you are. Super handy.

And, not to be beat a dead horse but I agree: 1.5 gallons is too small for a betta. They can absolutely _live_ in a tank that tiny, but if I was forced to, I could probably survive in a closet. I'd hate it, but I could do it, I'm sure. In a 5 gallon, your betta will have some room to roam around and explore, which should make him happier and healthier, which should make him look a lot better (and live longer too). Plus, it'll make him more interesting to keep as a pet (because you'll get to see him do his thing, not just hang there like a Christmas ornament.)

Anyway, check out the tool and good luck!

19. Anders247

This thread is from 2015.

20. xaipe

xaipe Valued Member Member

Doh, I didn't even bother to check the date. Oh well, still a good resource. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice