1 1/4" of water evaporates every 12 hours

heatmisr

Reaction score
I am in the process of cycling a 5 gallon with 1 Betta. Since Saturday, I have noticed that the water has started evaporating at a very high rate. I do 50% water changes every day around 9pm. When I get up the next morning at 7am, 1 1/4" of water has evaporated. I fill the tank back up and when I get home from work, 1 1/4" of water has evaporated again. The temperature is steady at 80F. Does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

OP
H

heatmisr

Reaction score
The temp in the room is usually 72F-76F.

inuyasha_lover_21

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My room is in the 70's. I loose around an inch a day. Also since its winter the humidity is low. So you will see more evaporation.

Hope this helps

OP
H

heatmisr

Reaction score
It does help, but I guess I need to know if there is anything I can do to prevent it. The water level goes down so low, the filter barely works and the bio-wheel doesn't turn. If I have to go away for more than a day, I worry as to what would happen. Any ideas on ways to stop it or reduce the amount of evaporation?

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
In my parents house. Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Experience
More than 10 years
Try turning down the temp and you should see a difference. I have my tanks at a comfortable 85-85F(just to prvent ich) and they lose a lot of water faster than my 10 gallon which only has a temp of around 75F. The type of lighing also will affect the evaporation rate. My 28 gal. has a normal lourescent tube(came with it) and it evaporates faster than my 36 gal. which has an Aqua-lite. So those 2 factors can affect evaporation rate.
Tom

OP
H

heatmisr

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I will check into that.

susitna-flower

Well Known
Reaction score
Is your tank covered with a glass top under the light hood? We live in a very dry winter climate, and heat with wood, which makes the house even dryer, my tank has that cover, then the light fixtures fit on top of that, 55 gal tank and I only loose about a 1/4 inch a day.

Fish in the Frozen North. 8)

OP
H

heatmisr

Reaction score
I actually found the culprit. It was the filter. The media was sitting too high up where the water pours in, so the water was trickling out. It has to have been a slow drip because, up until last night, I was not detecting any water on the floor, cords or back of the tank. I cut the filter a little shorter on the end and that has corrected the overflow problem.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

New Threads