1.0 Ammonia - Everything Else Is Normal

lucy.hotdog
HI there,

I've been googling this issue the last 4 days but I want to just confirm instead of guessing that I'm doing the right thing.

I've have had a 10L tank since january and I plopped a single betta in there once it was cycled, I had 0ppm ammonia and all the nitrate/nitrite levels were spot on too (I was pretty pleased with myself).

However, I went on vacation for a week recently and I think my room mate was over feeding my little guy and when I tested the ammonia was 2.0ppm. All other tests are fine, I have been doing 25% water changes for 4 days now but ammonia seems stuck at 1.0ppm.

I have an oxygen pump/filter/heater, the temp stays 74-76 degrees... My betta is acting normal, he doesn't appear sick or acting strange or stressed.

Are water changes the way forward? Should I be doing anything else? Today I pulled all the plastic plants out and most of the gravel to make sure they were clean as well as the water change.

I use API tap water conditioner for the water changes, I don't use anything else at the moment. I also checked my tap water which was 0.25ppm ammonia, just to make sure it wasn't really high.

Thank you in advance! (apologies if you've answered this a million times)

Advertisement
Ed204
HI there,

I've been googling this issue the last 4 days but I want to just confirm instead of guessing that I'm doing the right thing.

I've have had a 10L tank since january and I plopped a single betta in there once it was cycled, I had 0ppm ammonia and all the nitrate/nitrite levels were spot on too (I was pretty pleased with myself).

However, I went on vacation for a week recently and I think my room mate was over feeding my little guy and when I tested the ammonia was 2.0ppm. All other tests are fine, I have been doing 25% water changes for 4 days now but ammonia seems stuck at 1.0ppm.

I have an oxygen pump/filter/heater, the temp stays 74-76 degrees... My betta is acting normal, he doesn't appear sick or acting strange or stressed.

Are water changes the way forward? Should I be doing anything else? Today I pulled all the plastic plants out and most of the gravel to make sure they were clean as well as the water change.

I use API tap water conditioner for the water changes, I don't use anything else at the moment. I also checked my tap water which was 0.25ppm ammonia, just to make sure it wasn't really high.

Thank you in advance! (apologies if you've answered this a million times)
HI there,
A simple water change is the way to resolve this. Once you do a water change the ammonia should drop down. Using a tap conditioner is a good step. It makes the water safe for the fish, I would apply the conditioner wait overnight and then do the water change.
Good Luck!

lucy.hotdog
Amazingggg, thank you for the quick reply

Ed204
Angelfish4Life
Ammonia spikes are generally caused by overfeeding or not removing waste. Sounds like you've already done some cleaning up, so you should be good, but if it continues to be an issue just make sure you remove any uneaten food from the tank and do water changes and waste removal as needed. Sounds like you've got it under control though!

lucy.hotdog
Was definitely over feeding... turned out my room mate and her partner were both feeding him and forgetting to tell each other, doh! I think next vacation I'll have to find a new babysitter lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bwood22
  • Question
Replies
Views
Tunaboy
Replies
Views
Ravenahra
Replies