0 Ammonia 0 Nitrites 2.0 Nitrates ? Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jacceber123, Jun 24, 2018.

1. J

Jacceber123 New Member Member

Does this mean I’m cycled ? I have had this tank up for two- three weeks with media from my established tank and some decor from my established tank. Was fish out and adding some food. Am I good to start slowly adding fish

2. PhillyKev

PhillyKev Valued Member Member

How high did your ammonia get to before dropping? If you can bring your ammonia up to 2ppm and 24 hrs later that and nitrite are both zero, you should be good.

3. OP
    OP
    J

It didn’t jump up at all. It’s a second hand tank so I wonder if that has anything to do with it even adding food didn’t make it jump up and then I rescued two angel fish yesterday and put them in as my levels were all good. And have been feeding them lots and just did my levels again and they’re the same.

4. PhillyKev

It should take days to weeks for the bacteria to even start working on ammonia. If you've never seen a reading for any there was probably never enough to start a cycle. I think you are essentially doing a fish in cycle now. Might be smart to add some Prime to be safe and look into proper way to do a fish in cycle.

Unless by used tank... Isthe filter also used and was running when you got it? If so, may have been cycled when you got it.

I added food every day for a week when I started my cycle and never saw any ammonia. Had to get ammonium solution (Dr Tim's) and add that to get my ammonia up and cycle started and still not quite done after 21 days.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    J

Yes the filter was used as well, we put some new carbon pads in but the whole set up was used and I added bio rings from my established tank as well.

6. PhillyKev

Ahhh, well that's convenient!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice