0 Amm, .25 N'ite, 0 N'ate

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by newbettagus, Aug 23, 2019.

1. newbettagus

newbettagusValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    Is this even possible? I'm using an API test kit that expires in 2022. And I'm shaking the heck out of the second nitrate bottle, and also shaking the completed tube.

Tank is 5.5 gallons, containing one very lively betta fish. How long it's been running is complicated; you could say 3 weeks. We had a very high nitrite level for a while but it's come down a lot in the last few days. (Did the daily water changes.)

So where are my nitrates? I suppose there's nothing there to be worried about. Right?

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  2. Elbe

ElbeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    This is a part of the cycle

3. OP
    OP
    newbettagus

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    Oh. I thought there was supposed to be a high nitrate phase near the end, that that's what the nitrites turned into.

4. Elbe

ElbeNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    Just started
    Nitrates is the end product with no nitrites or ammonia left, then water changes would keep nitrate levels down

5. mattgirl

mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
    Ratings:
    +6,690
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    With just the one little guy in there it isn't unusual for your nitrates not to go sky high. In just 5 gallons of water the nitrites could have seemed like there was a ton of them but in the scheme of things it wasn't bunches and bunches of them.

The reading you get is in ppm (parts per million) That same amount of nitrites in say a 55 gallon tank would have appeared to be no more than maybe .5 or so. That .5 wouldn't have ended up a lot of nitrates. I would expect to see at least some at this point but if you have done any water changes they could be why you aren't seeing any now. Or... if you have any plants they could have used them.

Your numbers are looking good at this point. As long as you can get it to where you are seeing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites it won't matter if you never see nitrates.

6. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,199
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I would guess that the water changes removed a lot of the nitrites, but nitrates will turn up eventually. It generally takes about 3 weeks for the nitrite phase of the cycle to complete (assuming your not using a bacteria additive)

7. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,529
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It is possible that you have a bum bottle of test solution. There's another new member that has a API kit and is getting 0 ppm nitrates when she should be seeing them. It would be interesting to see if all 4 bottles (#1&2) have the same lot#.

8. OP
    OP
    newbettagus

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    Thank you! Nice to get the specific notes from people rather than relying on a general article.

I may call the API people and see if there's been a problem. Lot #17B0119 for bottle 1 and 18A0219 for bottle 2.

No live plants and no bacterial additives. The ph has been running 7.4-7.6.

9. OP
    OP
    newbettagus

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    I found an old (2 year?) thread about API kits and nitrate, which reported that the API people said that sometimes you need to hit the bottle against something repeatedly.

Did that today. Nitrate still 0. The nitrite level is down some more, about halfway between 0 and 0.25. This despite not changing water yesterday. Which is good! I thought for a while that we'd never get it down.

Maybe the nitrate fairy is helping us out. There is a nitrate fairy, right? Gus puts the nitrates under his leaf at night, and the nitrate fairy collects them.

Maybe I've spent too much time trying to get the right amount of water in the test tube, counting out 10 drops from bottle one, shaking bottle 2 like I'm trying to kill it, counting out 10 drops of that, dancing around the kitchen, waiting 5 minutes... all for a 0.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  10. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,529
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well, I guess I would'nt sweat it. When your ammonia is 0 and your nitrites stay at 0 then you're probably cycled. Just do water changes once a week or if nitrites + ammonia creep above .75 ppm, keep using Prime and eventually it will be done.

11. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,690
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Well after you do all that and before you wait the 5 minutes have you shaken the test tube a full minute before starting the 5 minute countdown?

12. OP
    OP
    newbettagus

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    Yes, thank you for checking. That's the dancing around the kitchen part, to break up the tedium of just shaking a tube for a minute or more.

Late Sunday water test update: nitrites now very close to 0--baby blue color. Going to take a sample to the pet store tomorrow, and then try to just forget about water tests. Fishie is fine.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  13. OP
    OP
    newbettagus

Ratings:
    +18
    Experience:
    Just started
    Water tested at PetStore using Tetra strips. Ammonia 0, nitrite trace, nitrate 0. Sorry I blamed API.

I didn't change his water yesterday or today.

I don't think I should post any more in this thread unless something happens that might be useful for someone to know. Thanks for the replies.

14. mattgirl

Ratings:
    +6,690
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Please keep us updated. I love reading success stories. :)