Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium
Updated August 12, 2019
Author: Mike - FishLore Admin
By Vincent Hargreaves, Thunder Bay Press (June 2002)
The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium covers all the details of setting up and maintaining a marine (saltwater) aquarium. Most of the main, most important topics are covered at length. It also provides hundreds of excellent photos of the various marine species along with important information for each species.
Some of the information provided includes compatibility with other species, care, feeding and the necessary water parameters for each species. Invertebrates are also covered at length. Insight into the coral reefs around the world is provided in order to give you a good understanding of what you need to provide for your marine fish. The author covers, in depth, the equipment that you will use in your marine tank along with suggestions on what works well.
The main topics in the Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium:
- The Living Reef in Nature - provides a background on the natural reef environment and reef areas around the world to help explain what we're trying to accomplish in our home aquariums.
- Establishing a Marine Aquarium - topics discussed include aquarium sizes and types, heating and cooling, lighting, water preparation, bacterial reactions, filtration, protein skimmers, ozone reactors, uv sterilizers, natural system (Berlin), plenum system (Jaubert), live rock, aquarium substrate choices, water current, water management, feeding your fish, symbiosis and general care.
- Aquarium Algae - everything you ever wanted to know about brown, green and red marine algae.
- Choosing Aquarium Fishes - 80 pages of the most popular saltwater fish profiles with nice photos, descriptions and a rating system that gives you a clue as to how difficult the species is to keep in captivity.
- Invertebrates for the Reef Aquarium - 84 pages of marine invertebrate profiles with photos, descriptions and the rating system.
- Breeding and Culture of Fishes and Invertebrates - An introduction into breeding saltwater fishes and invertebrates along with the culture of marine rotifers.
The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium is loaded with great pictures and lots of great content. I really liked the pictures along with the rankings on each type of marine fish. The "difficulty" rankings give a beginner a very quick way to find some good marine fish to start with. We give this book
Reviewed by: Mike FishLore
Summary: Book review of the Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium.
Description: A comprehensive reference guide to more than 700 marine fish and invertebrate species, and how to setup and maintain a living reef aquarium
Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.