1. FishLore.com uses cookies to help enhance your user experience. Learn more here: Cookies
    Dismiss Notice

Water-logging wood?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hasknight

hasknight Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I know there are many threads that deal with this topic but i cant find specific answers.
    Ill be short and simple.
    Q1. Can any kind of wood be used?
    Q2. Can i drill a hole in a trunk to use as a cave?
    Q3. Will fish hurt themselve over the wood? (dumb question sorry)
    Q4. Do i have to remove the bark or can i let it be?
    Q5. Can boiling once work? I will then add it to the aquarium and hold it down with rocks.

2. Quibbles

Quibbles Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi! When choosing driftwood, you can use many woods, but not all. Never use "soft" woods, like pines and evergreen trees. Mansanita works very well. You can drill a hole, but make sure the edges aren't sharp. I recommend taking off bark for sure, but I would boil a couple times before adding to your tank.

3. hasknight

hasknight Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for the feedback.
    I bought them from a woodcutter and didn't ask what type of wood it was. But evergreen and pine dont grow in our area anywhere so i dont think they might be that.
    Ill be rubbing it with sandpaper afterwards.
    I meant will they get hurt over the branch it self?
    Boiling is for the bacteria. So once should be enough right? I have water shortages so cant afford changing water for a driftwood for a month.

4. Quibbles

Quibbles Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I guess you could do just once if you boil it long enough. When you say "hurt over the branch itself" do you mean like chemicals and stuff? If so, probably no. Depends on the fish. And the wood type. Would you mind posting a pic of it? Also, keep in mind that adding wood will lower your Ph.

5. hasknight

hasknight Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I will boil it for some hours. Maybe 6.

And i meant as there are some branches sticking out of it. Like twigs would they damage the scales?

I will add a pic tomorrow morning.

Yes i do know. I heard sea shells also affect the ph.in what way or is it a myth?

6. aliray

aliray Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Dead hardwood like oak, beech or maple. Do not use any evergreen or cedar. Yes you can drill a hole in the wood. Make sure that any where you get the wood from that it is not an area that gets sprayed or near the road ways. The fish should be fine with wood. I would boil it. Most insects live under the bark , boiling would probably kill them but I would remove it if you can. Alison

7. AndrewJ54

AndrewJ54 Member Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Also the purpose of boiling is to leach out some of the tannis which is what will end up staining the color of your water a brownish color!

8. hasknight

hasknight Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I do not mind the brown colour. It feels more natural.
    The wood i have is freshly cut. :/ do i have to let it dry? Or can i just drill now?
    It has not been sprayed.

9. Quibbles

Quibbles Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I would let it dry before putting it in, or it would be more likley to decompose in the tank. Not entirely certain, though.

10. hasknight

hasknight Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I dont understand that part.

[​IMG]
    This is the piece.

11. Quibbles

Quibbles Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    It is very nice looking. The fish won't hurt themselves on that.

12. hasknight

hasknight Member Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Ive been boiling it for 6 hours.
    Can i ask as theres some black stuff coming out of it? The wood was picked the last day after a storm. So it wasnt chemically sprayed. It was in an abandoned plot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.