water changes

1. neonblue1980 Member Member

hi guys,

i have watched several youtube clips on how to do a partial water change. clean a portion of gravel, change a portion of water, roughly 20 percent. got it. i'm due for a water change today. i developed a skin condition that has open blisters (a reaction to medications). it should go away within a week or so. it covers both arms from wrist to shoulders.

obviously, sticking my arm in the tank to clean the gravel isn't a wise idea. my siphon involves me putting my arm in up to the elbow. would it be okay for me to swap out 20 percent of the water, but not doing a gravel vacuum until the blisters heal...or until i can get some large elbow length gloves or something...my husband's work days are 14 hours in an emergency room, so i would hate to burden him with the job right now. i know not vacuuming the gravel is not ideal...but is it a HUGE deal if it isn't done every week? my daughter's arms would not be long enough to reach. should i force the husband to do it? lol.

2. garikapc Member Member

How much you need to vacuum depends on how much you feed/how much detritus builds up. You could limit the feedings to cut down on the mess made. Also depends on the fish species since some are "messier" than others.

Sorry to hear about your skin. They do sell long gloves that go up to your elbow.

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I would force him to do it, unless the ammonia and nitrite levels are low. If they are low then you could maybe wait a week and not make him do it.

4. neonblue1980 Member Member

5. garikapc Member Member

Sorry! I missed the comment where you said you already knew about the gloves. Do'h!

Is this tank new? Newer? Those levels seem like a tank wrapping up/starting a cycle. I think you could get away while waiting to heal but WCs are always good so if you can force someone then come on down!

6. neonblue1980 Member Member

hi there,

yes, this tank is about one month old. you can read all about it in a previous post i just wrote today called updates with danios.

7. HOWsMom Well Known Member Member

We are talking about missing 1 single week of vacuuming - I would leave it until you can get the gloves.
    Do the water change, but don't worry too much about the gravel for this one, single week !

no need to add extra stress.

8. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Your levels are fine for a week. Do you use the API Master kit? I don't even trust .25ppm ammonia readings with the master kit. It always says .25ppm ammonia.

9. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

I agree, you can get away with no gravel vac for a week. If the levels start to come up just do more WCs where you do not have to stick your arm in. I left the gravel alone for a lot longer than that during a fish in cycle. Wouldn't recommend it haha, but I got through it.

I use those long gloves regardless when I am sticking my arm all the way in the tank. For both their safety and mine. I just ran out though. No more till payday so the arm is going in haha.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

10. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

You can get gravel vacs with longer plastic tubes. When I vacuum my gravel, my hands don't get wet since the top of the tube is well above the rim of the tank.

11. ricmcc Well Known Member Member

If your hubby works as a Doctor in the local Causality, for goodness sake have him steal a pair of gloves from the Gyno Dep't--they may not fit, but it is important in any youthful marriage to assert the rights of the fish. ( at 56, most marriages are youthful to me, so pls don't take offence).
    As to vacuuming the gravel, a delay of week or so won't matter, as has been said above, will not harm your fish, although you may wish to do larger W/Cs from the top, keeping your arms dry.
    I just read an interesting book about the human results of zoonosis,about how we can exchange disease between species-therefore guard your fish from your arms:).
    All the best, rick

12. neonblue1980 Member Member

he's a nurse, i'm a nurse too. between the two of us we're bound to score some free gloves from the supply closets at work if we look hard enough. lol

i'm just seeing this now. yes, i have the api master kit. it's what our local fish shop, and the local specialty store, both use so i don't have another means of testing with another product...unless i go shopping again...lol...but i think i'm all spent out for this pay day :)